OT: but of interest I hope

Gentlemen,

I've just spent the day doing paperwork and answering the mobile phone from home, I was supposed to go to Saffron Walden but only initially got as far as the end of the road through the village and my next tentative trip was to the local Vauxhall Garage five miles away. I sat at the junction waiting for the traffic to clear for me to pull out when I noticed a very acrid plastic burning smell in the cab and then lots of white smoke poring out from the front of the van. I pulled over turned everything off and got out to wait for the "dog bark". Nothing happened after a few minutes so I tentatively drove back home and rang the garage. Upshot is the Alternator failed, in a big way I'd say and guess what. the garage cant fix it until tomorrow cos they don't have one in stock.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Be grateful it was just electrics. If you burn the oil seals and suchlike in many modern GMs they're made of a fluorinated plastic that produces hydrofluoric acid residues. Don't even handle one in a scrapyard if it's had an engine bay fire - that stuff is _very_ nasty.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think that applies to many motors that have been involved in a fire. Be aware, very aware.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Having worked in the plastics industry I know the smell of acids in burning plastic and that is what I caught a wiff of monday.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

A lot of modern automotive wiring is insulated with PTFE. That also produces nasty stuff when burned. I just can't remember what.

John

Reply to
John

Phosgene, innit?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

That's the stuff. Best avoided I'm told.

John

Reply to
John

Wonder why you persist with this Renault crap? Would you not be far better of getting rid and buying a Transit?

Ken

Or even better a Sherpa!!! ;-) Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

The problems with Renault vans are not particularly confimed to those vehicles, and over the past couple of million or so miles we have had various makes and models to contend with.

The last Renault/Vauxhall van had a gearbox and an engine under warranty, but then did a further 200,000_ miles with no problems, even the front driveshafts lasted 250,000 miles before replacement.

Long-distances such as Martin and I drive regularly are no fun in a Transit as Dan will no doubt testify, and if you have to tow long distance as well, then there is not much else other than Mercedes or VW, both of which have their problems.

We have covered 67,000 miles in 16months, the only major hassles have been the aircon which was eventually rectified and the gearbox. Martin has done slightly less than us, but I think this is his first problem that has stopped the van, the power steering pipe failure stopped ours, but otherwise we have had uninterrupted use, albeit with a noisy 3rd and 4th gear.

The latest Transits are vastly better than the old ones, and they are apparently using the same engines as Renault. If you can't beat them....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

If you need a medium capacity, cheap, comfortable & relatively quick van, I thoroughly recommend a 2.3 litre petrol, normally aspirated 740 Volvo estate of anything between twelve and twenty years vintage! Eschew the turbo, the fuel injection, the vee or straight six, it's the aged, four cylinder, cast iron, OHC lump with a single Stromsburg that you need. 31 MPG I'm currently getting, not bad for a two tonne vehicle with a square front end!

They appear regularly in the free "Trade It" type papers for between £350 & £500 and provide excellent value for money in their dotage.

The load space will accept most smaller engines and to move bigger stuff, get one with a towbar already fitted. ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

But how do you live it down? do you have to wear a disguise when driving?

Reply to
Andy H

Never found the need to live it down - I just turn inside them with my astounding steering lock, park in gaps they can't manage ditto and reduce oncoming traffic to tears by the sheer frightening apparition of an elderly Volvo driven by someone who looks like a Viking in a suit bearing down upon them.

Never explain - never apologise!

Regards,

Kim

"Andy H"

But how do you live it down? do you have to wear a disguise when driving?

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

You think Kim has problems ? My 740 is pastel blue!

Actually the turbo reputedly isn't bad, and I find the fuel injection less trouble than an aged carb. About 250k miles so far and I only spend around £100/year on servicing. Just avoid the V6, because it's French and fragile.

Self levelling rear suspension (option) so you can be a hooligan with the rear loading. Excellent brakes. Driven from the right end. Good access all around the engine. Cheap insurance.

The only thing better would be one of my neighbour's pair - 1960s P1800s, a coupe and an estate, re-fitted with modern brakes and engines.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I cannot complain about the one I borrow from my brother but I have never bettered 22mpg in it and I only use it for long journeys, it is an auto.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Fair play to you both. Just out of interest do you know many bikers? What do they say?

Reply to
Andy H

astounding steering lock, park in gaps they can't manage

of an elderly Volvo driven by someone who looks

Hi Kim, I had something similar about 15 years ago when on my way to a Halloween P*ss up. Every time I stopped to ask the way with a reasonably good Dracular costume on, The young lady screamed & ran away.

Reply to
Dave Croft

I'm a biker and I have to admit Volvos are not popular with the lads:-)). But i'm not biased, I treat all makes with caution :-)

Regards, Gary

Reply to
gary millward

Kim might 8-)

"Can you move my garage full of Norton bits across town for me?"

There's really no animosity between bikers and Volvo drivers. 20 years ago maybe, but now the hedgehogs are driving BMWs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As a motorcyclist of some - Good Grief Lucy! - 48 years standing, I have known a few riders in me time. I have transported many a stripped down pile of oily bike bits across country, including a bunch of parts from which eventually emerged no less than three Triumph twins!

I have owned a 122, 245's, various 740's - which I bought to tide me over whilst this or that was being fixed, passing them on to other members of the club when I'd done with them. I had the notorious 760 vee six for nearly six years, put over 100,000 miles on it & finally - and reluctantly - scrapping it when it had 265,000 miles on the clock and had blown a head gasket & rad core. No longer worth fixing.

The current red 740 has just gone through an MOT needing a small amount of welding on the RHS seat belt mounting and a front exhaust box, pretty good for a twenty year old car with 165,000 on it..

I must admit to my head being turned by a BMW 535i SE, 211 BHP of fast, fairly light car. But you can't get many engines in the back ..... ;-((

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn