OT. norton internet security professional

You may remember that I have been having some trouble downloading pictures from webshots etc. I'm pretty sure the cause is the Norton security software which appears to randomly prevent the download of pictures, especially thumbnails, and also the little (gif?) logos on some links and buttons.

Is there any cure apart from switching off the software?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

I think this might be relevant (found in Norton firewall activity log):- "TCP non-syn/non-ack packet on invalid connection. packet has been dropped" Message appears a number of times and refers to packets from Webshots - come on you whizz kids out there!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Sounds like the TCP/IP communications protocol is overrunning itself of Webshots are sending through packets with correct ID. The system of transmission is to send a 'packet' of information through with a destination delivery address and a packet ID, each packet has a beginning and ending marker IIRC and it looks as though there is something wrong with either the marking of it or the way the TCP/IP protocol is handling it.

Check the settings for your modem and ISP, go through the settings with them so that you can be sure you are set up correctly.

Settings for the modem etc are in Network & Dial-Up Connections, usually found in "Start/Programers/Accessories/etwork & Dial-Up Connections" but that varies with your operating system.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Thanks for the explanation, some of which I nearly understood!

Connection is through a LAN to an ADSL modem, unfortunately the guy who set it up has now left the company and nobody else really knows how it all works. Exactly what we do if it stops working is a question which does not seem to have occured to the 'decision makers'!.

I am reluctant to persue this niggling problem through official channels as to be honest it only really affects extra curricular activities. Perhaps I'll stick to switching off the security program when required.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

channels as

It could be that the IE or the Firewall security settings have been modified so as to stop downloading anything which could pose a security issue. With a PC which is used for business purposes, allowing everyone full access to anything available from the Internet is a bit like playing Russian Roulette, sooner or later someone is going to get a little more than they bargained for. Overriding security settings put in place to protect a network could be a pretty risky, unless you are indispensable to the company I would discourage anyone from even thinking about it.

The safest solution for any company is to keep the network and all PC's required for work purposes as secure as possible. That said a good way of keeping staff happy is to allow leisure access to the net by one or more stand-alone PC's which are not connected to the main network. Should those become compromised in anyway no harm is done.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Think I'd better shut up before I incriminate myself even further!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

'tis ok for some of ya! .......... SOME of us work in bloody BIG companies, we get EMAIL from external sources ok, but everything else is bolted/shuttered/glued down/bunged up/chained or just blocked! ..........and to make matters even worse, we have intRAnet, which is inaccesssable on the bloody intERnet. Working from home, as I do, its a pain in the bum, 'cos i gotta go 50 mile round trip to the office every week to catch up on on the attatchments to my intERnetted emails which are only available on the bloody intRAnet........ Those American Indians had a good idea .......... such a shame smoke signals never REALLY caught on in the civilised world. Perhaps if Bill Gates had been a Cherokee things may have ben a bit different?

Reply to
One-Pot Workhorse