OT - traffic cameras

Hello All,

For those of you who use the M4 between J 12 to J 15.

The new electronic signs on the M4 were switched on ten days ago. The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras.

The whole section of the M4 between Theale (J12) and Membury Services between J14 and J15 is wired both ways. The system is set to trigger a ticket at 78 mph. Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive, there is no radar or laser beam to detect. The latest satellite based GPS devices have been updated.

SPECS is a computer-camera based system. As you go past the sign a digital camera reads your number plate. When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again. The computer knows how far apart the signs are so can work out your average speed between the two, three or four.

The system is fully automatic and will issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that passes. You will not know you've been caught as the cameras don't flash.

They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that the system can issue.

Be warned and spread the news!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

It seems I have been wrongly informed! This from the Thames Valley Police Website.

The Highways Agency has installed new signs between J 12 and J 14 of the M4 as part of a year long pilot project to reduce congestion and collisions. The signs have two CCTV cameras. One which monitors the sign itself to make sure its working and displaying the right message; and another to monitor the congestion to evaluate the effect the sign is having on the traffic.

There are NO speed cameras and NO SPECS cameras in the signs!

The only involvement Thames Valley Police has is to change the messages on the signs according to the conditions to give up-to-date information. This is done via our control room. The signs are owned by the Highways Agency.

Sorry, in good faith and all that ............

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I confess I was about to ask for the source........ ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland wrote > I confess I was about to ask for the source........

A member of my local Police force who shall remain nameless.

It does occur to me that it might have had tacit official support as I noticed last week that the traffic flow from J12 to 15 on the M4 was noticeably slower.

Interesting ................

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

It's certainly done the rounds, was put out as an 'official' warning to field service reps in the company Helen works for.

Reply to
Nick Highfield