OT trouble with news.individual.net

I know several of us use this normally excellent news server. I am having problems with it at the moment & also yesterday. Is anyone else having problems?

Reply to
Dave Croft

I use it and the only trouble I've had is with my ISP (pipex) throttling NNTP (usenet) traffic in the evenings which really b*****s up using the PDA. I tried the server's alternative port but it was just the same so looks like pipex are filtering by protocol rather than by port and I don't suppose they are the only one to do so. Apparently the rationale behind this 'demand shaping' is to discourage the use of binary groups to distribute pirated films, music etc. I don't subscribe to any binary groups (in fact I don't think news.individual.net supports them) but, as usual, we all have to suffer for the few who abuse the system.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Yes, unable to access the server on Tuesday afternoon but OK Tuesday evening and again yesterday evening. I gave up at about 11:00 p.m with the same problem. Obviously OK now.

On their web site FAQ

they refer to a news group alt.usenet.news-server-comparison where planned interruptions to the service are available.

I have just added it to my downloadable grpups but Agent changes the group heading to au.usenet.news-server-comparison and there seems to be nothing about individuals service in the 35 postings, the earliest of which is dated 3 AUG 2007 and the latest 20 DEC 2007.

Reply to
brightside S9