Plating

Has anyone here any experience of home plating ?

I'm looking at doing some nickel plate over copper and was wondering about an electroless nickel process. Any suggestions on sourcing the materials ? I'm wondering about either buying stock solutions, or making my own from scratch (but sodium hypophosphite is a frightening price !)

The workpiece will be bathroom lighting fittings. Although I can probably make it in rod-like sections, I'll need to plate tubes a couple of feet long. All the "domestic" kits I've seen so far have been sized for re-plating a handful of motorbike nuts - about half a litre of solution at most.

Andy Dingley