Puller on Screwfix

If it works once & folds into oblivion it was worth it .......

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I am so impressed! Ordered 4.30pm yesterday arrived before noon today.

Not one but THREE pullers with drop forged arms in the box for a fiver - 6".

4" & 2". The shackle pins are only set screws (no unthreaded portion ) but that's easily solved.

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Kim Siddorn

My favourite pullers are the Gedore/Baldur range, as they'll move pulleys and flywheels which are secured with a taper key. I got mine when there was a 60 % off promotion. Otherwise they're expensive.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I've got several pullers based around hydraulic rams. They usually get anything out if you can get hold of it. I've had them for years & found some more bits & accessories when I bought some tools unseen at auction. However, you can never have a big enough selection of arms!

regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

This was part of a job I've been working on for a few weeks, off & on.

To give an idea of scale, the coupling flange is around 12" dia, the tension rods are 1.25" dia, and the ram has a 50 ton capacity. Even pumped up to the rated 50 tons and heated with an ordinary OA cutting torch it wouldn't shift. We had to let it cool (actually it was left overnight with the 50 tons on, just in case...) & then applied heat from a big 'pepperpot' torch which gave a greater thermal shock than the cutting torch, a couple of minutes with that & I thought the torch had backfired, it was actually the coupling flying off the taper.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Nice tool, Tim. The only problem with the stronger pullers is that if you accidentally fail to detach something, you are going to break it.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

It's not the only problem. Ive had a number of bearings shatter at less than 50 tons. The bits go everywhere at very high speed. I now wear eye protection whenever I'm doing that sort of thing. I had a component in a press once using an M16 cap head as a pusher. It kicked out sideways with no warning and an almighty bang. When we found the cap head, it was bent 45 degrees and blued on the end due to friction. Fortunately it went away from me. If it hadn't have done.......... The memory still sends shudders.

John

Reply to
John

The ones I've got are just based around a screw thread, but a big one. You can get a hydraulic spindle for them if you like, but I was too cheap to do so. The screw works just fine if you're prepared to put in the effort. You won't get 50 tons out of it, but I think the biggest does 7 tons.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

By the way, is that the huge marine gearbox you need oil for?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy