re. "and still they turn up"

Can't help but notice that once again a request for help from me has fallen through the net unreplied. I can only assume that nobody on this NG. knows anything about Petter PH1W and Coventry Victor Zephyr diesel engines. Is there anybody out there???

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Don't make assumptions, reflect on your less than gracious responses to info offered in the past..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Charles, your assumption is correct in my case, neither engine is familiar to me. If I get a chance tonight I'll go through the SE indexes and see what I can find.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

I think you are being a little hasty there, Charles, you only posted the original request on the 24th, and a lot of folks don't have time to drop everything and go hunting for info immediately.

What do you need to know about the PHW engine? I have a manual for that series and can quote anything you need from it. There were two versions of the PH, and air-cooled (PH) and a water cooled (PHW) also they came in 1 and 2-cylinder versions. There was a series of engines that looked remarkably similar but were quite different in HP and ratings: AV, B, PH PJ PC etc.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Since this group is wildly eclectic and generally very helpful its probably fair to assume that nobody has personal knowledge of these engines. I rarely get answers to my questions but that's just the way it goes and I wouldn't want to see loads of "sorry I can't help" posts. As always a letter to SEM will reach a larger audience. The regular posters are also generally busy and unable to indulge in extensive research. As an aside my webpage generates a lot of queries some of which undoubtedly originate from various shades of troll. Of the others I have found residents of North America to be sadly lacking in the basic courtesies and will no longer conduct any research on their behalf. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

My word, that conjures up some interesting visions, especially if you think about our resident Viking ! :-))

Regards,

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Yerst. I am pleased to be considered eccentric by two groups of such widely different interests ;o))

I too make the assumption that if no-one says anything, I've happened to strike upon something that no-one here knows about. Silence may not be golden, but I do find it expressive if disappointing .........

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

engineers yard

that I will just

be stuck with them

Hi Charles:

You can adjust the length of time that messages stay on your own PC in the settings section of your newsreader. I can set up to 60 days max for posts in Agent IIRC, and others like Netscape used to have longer periods. I don't used Outlook Express or Internet Explorer so cannot help with adjustments, but I do remember that there were settings for most bits and pieces.

As far as the engines themselves are concerned, It is probably initially better to find out what costs are involved so that prospective purchasers can get an idea of what money they would need to commit to. Carriage is significant from your part of the UK, but even that can be got round occasionally :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

A-Z of British Stationary Engines states, 'Petter PH range single and twin cylinder air and water-engines was introduced in either 1956 or 1960 (two different references) and were later joined by a marine version' The National archive at Covetry has information on, Coventry Victor Motor Co Ltd, diesel engine manufacturers Coventry, Warwickshire.

1920-1972: financial records, photographs and drawings. Ref-1392, NRA 33895 Coventry Or try,

HTH Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I would have thought that receiving no response to forwarding requested pix & info would come into the category of ungracious..

Offlist I tend to use more earthier terms.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Like Roland, I also assume silence to mean no information rather than lack of interest or unwillingness to share information. If all readers sent a no knowledge response, the NG would be saturated with "no information responses" - far better to populate it with actual information when it is available ( the when should be considered italicised there).

I have made many requests for information over the years, and some have brought much support and some nothing at all - that's fine by me because I know that when knowledge is available it is passed on by the members of this group, who are as good as they get in the NG world, and by that I mean a fine eclectic bunch of chaps and chapesses.

As Peter also points out most of us have jobs and cannot answer immediately - I'm just back from a business trip to Germany, close on the heels of another to Austria and am only just catching up with posts from early July!! I know I shouldn't wish my life away, bur roll on early retirement - only 8 years to go :-(

2p's worth from Sunny Sussex

In message , Roland and Celia Craven writes

Reply to
john. ambler