Re: Brush AC Generator

My Father has a Brush AC Generator with a Lister Engine, the engin

> runs fine but the Generator requires attention, he has been trying to > locate a wiring diragram without any success.

What is the age and size of the alternator?

I have had experience on a 1973 7KW unit coupled to an SR2 engine as a Start-o-matic

If it is this sort of age, I know my way round it pretty well.

In the mean time:

If it has not been run for some time, make sure the commutator is clean and that the brushes are OK. Same goes for the slip rings and brushes.

Check that the field resistors are intact; a common problem is the brass tap clamp breaking, causing the resistor to go open circuit

Apart from an open/short in the windings, there is not much to go wrong.

BTW, for those in the group who remember my request for help some 9 months ago, the gen set is fully restored and working. It has worked for me twice in the last 6 months during two 6 hour power cuts, so I am very pleased.

It cost me £310 to restore which included a rebore, new pistons, valves, guides, refurbishment of the injectors, gasket set and odds and sods. The alternator needed a new rectifier in the voltage control circuit together with replacement of the 3 wire wound resistors.

I built a modern Automatic Mains Fail unit to control the set and it is now wired into the house supply. A much needed piece of kit in the Petworth area.

James

James

Reply to
James Campbell

In message , James Campbell writes

We are just back from a holiday in Herefordshire - the cottage was well off the beaten track with no mains anything. Electricity was from a Lister ST2 powered Brush alternator (7KW) - start on demand. Worked a treat if a little noisy in the very peaceful location.

Reply to
John Ambler