Re: OT Highway robbery is rampant on UK roads..

> Alas and alack! > > I've just received a billet doux from the > Northumbria Police Fixed Penalty Unit! :-( > > Photographed at 38 mph! Seeking driver identity? Gosh! > > At a location I can only guess at, going by the location > stated in the notice. Somewhere north of Dover... > > It most probably was a fair cop but remembering back to > the day, it appears to be in an area where there was a > dearth of speed limiting signs and the general populace > had not, up to then, enlightened me to the de facto > relationship of street lights to the 30 mph limit. :-( > > Dire threats of financial retribution and removal of points > etc enclosed together with FAQs! > > Having a "foreign" licence, see Q18, means that this matter > will dealt with by the Beck.. > > My only real query about all this, is the average bureaucrat > in the UK so tired, that instead of folding these A4 missives > twice, only once is the case and consequently a far larger > envelope is required? >

Such enormous volumes of them are produced that the entire process is automated. Hence no folds.

John

Reply to
John Nice

Not necessarily true...

When I did some office temping in the 1970s there was a machine that would fold letters TWICE, put them in envelopes, lick them and stick them down!

It chewed things up regularly but I am sure things are even faster & more reliable now...

Chris D

Reply to
Chris N Deuchar

Er why is Northumbria Police issuing a speeding ticket for Kent? If the location really cannot be identified you'll stand a pretty good chance of getting off.

I wonder if this will remain the case when the Royal Mails "Pricing in Proportion" comes in on August 21st? A "Letter" will cost 32p 1st Class but the size limit is right down on folded once A4. One company that sends me lots of A4 folded once stuff uses an envelope that is just (approx 8mm on the height and 12mm on the length) too big to be a "Letter" so will be going "Large Letter" at 44p 1st Class.

Dave Liquorice

Anywhere south of Manchester on my maps is marked "Here be Dragons", the known world ends along a line joing Bristol to Birmingham to Hull.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You're right but your map is upside down ;-)

Andrew Heggie

Reply to
AJH