Re: Why not get a pitch? -- Amancos by the mile

"Chris Crocker - White" wrote > Hmm I definatley want to come to this, to see if I can get the Amanco I want.

Chris -- easy answer to Amancos is to pay a bit more than your £16, & jump on an aeroplane to Portland,Indiana. Cover your costs by taking orders from the UK, organise a container, take a wad of dollars, buy

20 engines, keep a couple, sell on = profit. Easy to do, but I'm not cut out as a trader! Alternatively, order with someone that does that, but pick individual with care.

The big show there has literally thousands of open cranks for sale, including vast numbers of Amancos. Prices are exceptionally good by our standards -- $500 will buy you a decent unrestored engine by a host of makers, & that's before the haggling starts. Stickneys & Springfields cost rather more. Lovely big oil field engines (25hp-ish) were $800 up.

Some individuals sell over 50 open cranks, often just piled up on top of each on the back of trucks. Eye-boggling at first.

I felt guilty as hell last time I went. Had a 20ft container waiting to take my personal kit home when I moved back from US. It had a load of spare room, but I couldn't find any way of shipping a dozen engines past the wife ...

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne