Sound of a Merlin

There's also one used by the RAF over my place - I've seen the Red Arrows passing over in a VERY "relaxed" formation - darting and rolling over each other and on occasions the Historic Flight puts in an appearance. I will never forget a low(ish)-level pass by the Lanc - it popped over the edge of the valley and REALLY made things rattle! Goodness only knows what life was like for the civilians left in rural Lincolnshire during the war.

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005) Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway:
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Couldn't lay my hands on the url at the time:

This one throbs, Merlins, whisper by comparison. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Radials have a common or commoned exhaust, most of the in-line V's had single or twin stubs, so you get a lot more resonance in my experience.

The Bristol radials in the Ambassador were uncannily quiet when we used to watch them at Gatwick after skiving off for the afternoon, compared with the DC4's and

6's which sounded like a bad attack of flatulence when idling.

Cycled from Ifield (John Jefferies country) to Gatwick and then through the back lanes to Redhill aerodrome. Great fun!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Reply to
Mike.H.

Clipped.

Mike.H.

Would that have been because the Bristols were sleeve valve !

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Definitely not a Valiant as I think there are only two left and inside museum buildings, more like a victor.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Talking of Google Earth,

or type in 52 20 10.87N 0 11 43.34W in the search bit and zoom in.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I may have told you all this before but standing on top of Duxford tower, which is not high watching B17 "Sally B" fly by almost below me cutting the grass with its props it was that low. The pilot was banned from flying at Duxford after that. A while later my wife and I were at a Biggin Hill show when he barrel rolled a B26 Invader into the ground with I think six passengers. :-((

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

thats a fantastic picture.

Mart>> >>> Just to rub it in a bit more, I live about four miles from the >>> Shuttleworth

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I was flying a hang glider off the Long Mynd in (I think) 1973. I'd just hauled the straps tight & leaned into the wind ready to take the couple of paces necessary to move off the hill - when a Fat Albert flew around the corner of the hill some distance below me.

Arrrgh .....

It was a perfect flying day, so I waited a good 15 minutes for the air to settle down, strapped up and was listening to the variometer at the edge of the hill when round he came again!

All very illegal, of course, but with no mobile phones & the prospect of an irate phone exchange to Boscombe Down from a public phone box was not enough fun to keep me on the hill, so I tucked my tail between my legs and went home.

You could count the rivets .........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Probably, but they also smoked like hell for a while until warmed up!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

In message , Peter A Forbes writes

Three lasting memories from my flying days:

Watching a Lightning do a short takeoff on full reheat at Binbrook. Like being in an earthquake, but louder... Watching Concorde do a Precision Approach Radar down the centre line of Denham's main runway and abort with full reheat. Like being in a sooty earthquake, but louder... Watching the only flying Blenheim of the day (equipped with Bristol sleeve valve engines) cartwheeling across the golf course at Denham 20 minutes later. An indescribable feeling, especially after the high of Concorde. Luckily(!) it wasn't anyone's funeral we were all watching.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

ain't that a beautiful sound? sammm with the sticky shorts

Reply to
SAMMM

I hope its genuine tho..... Have you seen whats parked up at the terminal at Heathrow? Fairford as well for that matter.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Yep. Starts off with positive doppler ticky - the sound of the cylinders firing, but faster than they actually are as the aircraft is approaching - then the ticky gets slower as the aircraft gets further away - but in between there is is an imagined sound to be found, a ticky like it might have been in the cockpit when you/they were flying it ..

Hat's off/

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

This site maybe of interest.

Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

I'm indebted for the various URLs which I much enjoyed. My youngest spent

10 minutes at 1130pm last night looking out of her window for the plane she could hear :-) I did have them rather loud... ttfn Roland
Reply to
Roland Craven

........ and if you've not seen this one (WARNING - 2MB download!)

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005) Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway:
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Possibly the funniest Merlin flypast clip yet

Andy Dingley