Stationary Steam Website

Some of you will have seen it before, but I hadn't. Looks like the inspiration for a number of Summer outings.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Kew is certainly worth a visit.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

"Campingstoveman" wrote

Go there for the stirling engine day (early April?) and as well as seeing the impressive stationary steam engines in action, I guarantee you will come away considering a collection of small hot air engines - great for an indoor crank-up in the middle of winter when the rally season seems a lifetime away!

Reply to
Nick H

Hi Nick, as an avid hot air man I would love to go to Kew but I cannot go due to family restrictions. Is there no way that we can have a Northern version some day? Perhaps in a tent at the 1000 engine.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Reply to
Dave Croft

"Dave Croft" wrote

The Stirling Engine Society tend to exhibit mostly at model engineering exhibitions, have a word with Bob Sier

or one of the other worthies of that ilk.

Reply to
Nick H

inspiration for a number of Summer outings.

On the topic of Museums I found an interesting place last weekend whilst on holiday in Derbyshire. It's called the 'Museum of Stationary Power', run by a group of enthusiasts and located at (though not actually linked to) the Midland Railway Centre at Swanick, near Ripley. A nice shed full of interesting engines including a large twin cylinder Ruston, a big Fielding and many others, plus the beginnings of an even bigger shed housing more nice big engines. I got some pictures and will try to get them on my website this week. Worth a visit if you're in the area, and open most Sundays.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

............... and about half-a-mile from where I live! If you come in the summer, park at the Newlands inn and take the narrow gauge train

onto the site!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal: