Has anybody a Lister D cyl. Head for sale

Hi There, I have been plodding on with my first stationary engine restoration,a Lister 'D ' TVO. I got to the point of removing the valves -- one came out,the other was solid,a hefty belt on the valve stem has resulted in a bent valve -- it didn,t move!! That might explain the bowed pushrod. I am now a little stuck,but I think a replacement complete,unseized cylinder head and valve assembly is the best option. Also,the raised LISTER lettering on the cylinder head is almost worn away -- How? Any help greatly appreciated. many thanks Colin

Reply to
Colin Spooner

well, thats not very good is it now?

the lettering may be worn away, cos it came out a cememnt mixer and the sand and salt outta the sand has eroded the engined head. Thats what had happened to mine, dont bother the engine though, still runs fine.

with the valves not the best thing to do with these things is hit them, patients is the key to sucess and saving money. try spraying a lubiciant around it and letting it soak in, ie WD40 or if u can chuck the hole head in a bucket of parafin or diesl or any fuel which dosen't evaporate that easily. petrol would work but hence the evaportation.

check out ebay for the push rods if u can not unbend them, as theres often several parts for D's floating about.

otherwise good luck

thanks, Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Butler

There could be all sorts of reasons for the worn name, not the least being simply that the moulds wear and have periodically to be replaced. A new cylinder head seems drastic when David Harris (details in SEM) has new valves and guides at a fraction of the silly prices on Ebay. I suggest you straighten the valve using heat and a length of pipe and soak it in diesel which is much more effective and cheaper than WD40. More heat/soaking and plenty of patience should enable you to free the valve and then the guide. If both are irretrievably B******d then perhaps a small drill used CAREFULLY around the circumference of the guide between valve and cylinder head would enable the weakened remains to be driven out in bits with the valve. Bear in mind that the valve was designed to remove downwards and the guide upwards hth

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

'pends how hard and how often you hit it, but in all likelihood the valve is recoverable. It obviously has to go down through the guide, but I'd spend some time with the peccant part immersed in a penetrating oil of your choice - a week would be a good start - and then try tapping it again.

Heat will also do the job and usually a combination of heat and thin oil/Diesel/paraffin etc will free off more or less anything given enough time and cycles of heat and libations of oil.

Baste that valve, Colin ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to