Winter Project Progress

Managed to snatch a couple of hours in the workshop tonight, finished the temporary burner shroud for the big 12hp Tangye (hacked from a lump of 5" pipe which has taken a couple of weeks on and off to get it to fit and look something like) and in a fit of enthusiam lit the blowlamp underneath it....a quick oil round and a pint of best paraffin in the tank saw the bulb nice an red and ready to go...Much pulling of the 5' flywheel ensued until eventually after I and the rest of the garage had disappeared in a cloud of white paraffin smoke it fired, quickly onto full compression and it ran up on the governor and proceded to walk towards the garage door at a rate of about 4" every firing event! Quickly shut the fuel off and let it stop, point proven that after many years idle it runs, spend the next hour getting it back into it's place in the shed ;-)

Next tasks in no particular order are to fix the leak in the fuel tank, bolt it to something solid (eg the floor!) so I can run it again and make up and exhaust so that I don't stagger out of the workshop coughing again!

Does anyone have a spare exhaust pot with approx 2" fittings that would suit the engine going spare?

How's everyone else getting on with their projects?

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Gentlemen,

My two penneth already been said, got saw going to cut the metal for trolley. Wheels machined.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Sounds a good evening, Dan. I have a particular soft spot for Tangye oil engines.

My Winter project is a workshop. In a previous eon it was a cartshed, with a granary overhead, latterly it was used as a cowhouse, before the roof blew off (the day after we agreed to purchase). For a few years we used it as a ruin, then upgraded it to a henhouse by putting a roof back on, and reinstating the upper floor. A little more work and it became handy for a few pens downstairs at lambing time. This Spring we put doors on it and I talked about making it into a workshop, but little happened until I finally got in gear this Autumn.

Now it's nearly a workshop, with floor concreted, walls rendered, lighting and power wired. Last night I refurbished a scrounged bench, and tonight I gave the walls their final coat of paint and the ceiling its first coat. I'm still waiting for Idris to make the damn window, but he'll get there in the end. A temporary arrangement of clear plastic sheets suffices for now.

I hope to move a lathe in this week or early next week, and move some engines in shortly afterwards. Hopefully I can then rejoin the engine hobby!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

The bog behind the cow shed ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

"John Stevenson" wrote

No, John, that's for smart-a*ses ;-)

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

The Lister D genset has a nice new camshaft and cam follwers, the rad.coled Fowler PA is now sporting the very heavy flywheel off a PD and looks like a generating engine ought to, and runs sooo smoothly. I'm in the process of revamping the direct coupled Petter set. I know I'll never stop its spacehopper tendencies entirely, but at least by mounting the cooling tank remotely it won't shower everyone in the vicinity with boiling water!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

Major work has come to a grinding halt here. The builder for whom I have been waiting 18 months has finally said he will come soon to resurface the yard, insert new drains and tank the house walls. Aside from reducing the damp inside it will also mean an end to dragging iron over a ghastly mix of mud and cobbles. The entire yard contents are thus stacked in corners and the workshop apron to leave an area free. Once that's done I'll move it all to that area so the rest can be done. After the dust settles I'll choose a project from a selection of Petter-Lights or an S type. SWMBO has decreed that the new patio area must be left free, and engines removed from the house, so further reduction will be needed :-( Meanwhile I'm tackling a backlog of machining and re-metalling jobs in between household duties........ ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Where shall we park the trailers then for the big clearout, I'm sure if we speak to SWMBO she would be pleased with all the assistance and removal we could all offer. Services at no cost to you both based on how much scrap we could all shift :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I bought a couple of Coventry-Victor MA2's recently off NG contributor John Abbot (hi John!) and have been wondering what to drive with one of them. I think I've remembered the very thing.

Lurking amongst my souvenirs I have a horizontally opposed air compressor - what better for a air cooled flat twin engine to drive, especially close-coupled ;o))

I'll try to remember to excavate it for photos tomorrow. Pics of the completed Marconi-Stanley and the just-finished JAP 2A/Bristol Pneumatic Tools rig may well follow.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

i dunno if u remember but my winter projects is to restore: + Petter W1 TVO edition + Petter W1 LAB Edition Used for testing oil's

I haven't started the LAB version yet as parts of the oil pump are missing although i have started with the other, its all been striped and cleaned and now being reassembled.

I got the new rings off Tevor Murdoch, the

guy or summit simuliar.

'very effiecent. no complaints what so ever to make about the company.

all ready to be finished off and the fly wheel swung? will it work?

ill try and find out this weekend.

thanks, Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Butler

Photos of the JAP / Bristol Pneumatic Tools restoration can be seen at

New pictures of the now almost finished Marconi-Stanley can be seen at

- and a more outlandish-looking device it would be hard to find ;o))

I'm delighted to say that I can actually carry this engine & compressor in one hand !

Project outline for the Coventry-Victor MA2 to drive the horizontally opposed Mann-Egerton air compressor also on

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn