Stationary steampunk

Some nice hot fog photos from New York

"Who would think that the oldest continuously-operating, privately owned steam-powered electrical generating plant in the United States sits in a quiet Victorian section of Brooklyn, New York? Pratt University has its original steam-powered engine room intact. "

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That is quite a wow and the comment that it has no protection as an "historic landmark" rather worrying.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Ten years ago I'd have worried too Nick, but I think it must be pretty safe now, the heritage industry being what it is these days.

What surprised me is that it is all still plumbed in - that being the case, I suppose it will still generate too - could be useful in the future.....

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

OK, that's now given me a reason to visit NY... :-)

I'm a sucker for big generating plant!

Reply to
Jules

Where are you in the US, Jules?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Bemidji, northern Minnesota - I can almost sneeze on Canadians from here ;-)

It's all trees and lakes (over 13 thousand of them) around here (lots of old logging heritage). For a sense of scale, the state is about the same size as England, but with only 5 million people (and 3.5 million of those are way down south around Minneapolis).

For the 'vintage technology' angle there's the annual steam fair down in Rollag - I've still not managed to get down to it since moving over here, but I gather it's comparable in size to the big UK shows

for the site, and there's some nice footage of their 600HP gas engine up on youtube)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules