Thanks for your ideas

A short while ago I asked for ideas for a 'garden' engine and received some interesting replies from the group.

I have now just 'won' an engine on ebay #6534483061

My son has also acquired an O/C from the same source #6534479542

That seems to have provided something for us to do next weekend to collect these veritable lumps of iron.

Many thanks for your contributions to our searches.

Reply to
George Hendry

George, we look forward to the garden photos!

interesting replies from the group.

these veritable lumps of iron.

Reply to
Arthur G

George. I have bought a lister A type from the same seller today, for my younger brother. I am hoping to go and collect it tommorow Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

His feedback stinks. I hope it works out OK. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

I know the guy personally and have seen all of these engines on a previous visit to his place.

Like everything on Ebay worth more than a few pounds I NEVER pay for the item unseen and ALWAYS collect it to make sure that it meets the description. I have bought two cars this way and several other items.

It does help to know of the person first though.

In message , Roland Craven writes

Reply to
George Hendry

out of curiosity, i read his feedback, the man is one busy e bayer and i guess there was over 100 transactions with less than half a doz neg feedback......with most of the positive being very complimentary..... thats not a bad ratio of satisfied customers is it....??......... and no im not related.....jus playing devils advocate....lol

chris

Reply to
chris down

Your money and your choice. Once you've been bitten you learn to take note of feedback scores and read feedback (and between the lines)! Ebay is a dangerous place for the trusting. Shill bidding is rife (this group NOT excluded!) and there are still thousands breaching Ebay rules by charging a premium for paypal. Ebay don't give a tinker's cuss so as Kim and Charles are wont to sat "..Caveat Emptor..." ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Feedback is a useful tool, not only to see what went wrong, but to note the repetitive elements in the negative postings.

Personally speaking, I have been lucky & have quite often paid for stuff in advance without being bitten. The only one I'd niggle about was described as "complete" but isn't, lacking some case screws in an esoteric size and the pull cord ratchet jams.

In my experience over the last three years, most people are pretty honest. However, when selling, I will only accept cash on the nose or a cheque in advance, so am not at risk in that respect.

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

- who eschews such LCD television as unReality TV!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

In message , George Hendry writes

Have now collected the engine bought on Ebay and brought them home. The RH 4.5HP PR open crank started and ran almost immediately. Should be even better when the HT lead is replaced

The other engine will have to wait for a few weeks until I can make a trolley for it to sit on. Sun and Sangria for 14 days will take up a fair bit of the next few weeks.

The PR will stay in its working clothes but the PB may get a repaint.

Photos were taken on the collection and in the next day or so it may be possible to put these on our web space.

Regards

Reply to
George Hendry