Tinkering with the "D" (again)

I've been gently tackling the fuel system since I last wrote about the "D". The pipe from the carb to the fuel filter had already been undone, but the one from the filter to the tank wouldn't come undone, until I applied just a little more force........... and it came undone without breaking! The bottom end was OK, but the tap unscrewed from the fuel tank, instead of the nut coming off the tap. No matter, I needed the tap out anyway............. The tap cleaned up fine and isn't seized, so I'm leaving well alone. I once had a fuel tap that worked perfectly well until I dismantled it..........

Having cleaned up the other length of copper pipe, I turned my attention to the fuel filter: unknown territory for me, as all my other engines had filters in the tank (except the round-top Petter). First I had to clear all the grot from around it, as I couldn't see how it was fastened on. Once I could see the little nut that held it in place, all was sweetness and light and in two shakes it was off the engine and in the vice so that I could undo the filter bowl. There was a fair amount of (very solid) crud in here which had to be scraped off the sides with a screwdriver, but the filter looks to be OK. There was a severe blockage at the bottom of the block (where the fuel flows out to the engine) but a little attention with a drill twirled in that soon cleared out all the crud. Under all the grease and general crud, this is a brass casting, so there's going to be a fair amount of polish and elbow grease to get the filter back to a pristine condition.

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic