Lister D Progress

Well, I got around to collecting it last weekend........ a cracking
run over the Cat & Fiddle Pass from Buxton, with a stunning view over
the Cheshire Plain from Jodrell Bank on the one hand to Manchester on
the other. Pictures at:

I a bit mystified by ther magneto as i've not seen one like it before.
I actually got to start work on it yesterday. I'd already picked up a
new plug and HT lead from
who are quite local to
me: besides, i remember the proprietor as a young boy! The original
spark plug came out easily and was a little oily: I'm informed that
the oil in it has not been changed since before it came off the farm,
so I'm wondering if anybody might be interested in doing a chemical
analysis on it..............................
Anyway, back to work! The crankcase breather came off OK, but there
was a load of crud (including 2 long-dead spiders) in it: this was
removed, as was all the crud on that half cover. The governor appears
to be seized where the spindle comes out of the governor casing - all
the external levers and bits somewhat remarkably appear to be moving,
but the return spring is "a little tired".
Finally (and because I like doing it) the brass cap to the fuel tank
was removed and polished to within an inch of its life and the muck
cleaned off the carburettor. I want to clean all the aluminium, brass
and copper up as I go along so that by the time I get to try and start
it, at least all that'll be restored.
Brian L Dominic
Web Sites:
Canals:
of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read:
To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk
Reply to
Brian Dominic
Brian,
The magneto is an M-L (Miller-Lister AFAIK) which is of the style fitted to the early D's before they were usurped by the Lucas RS1 (Hovis) mag.
Regards
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
And of course not forgetting that the Lister in M-L was nothing at all to do with R.A.Lister, merely a coincidence that the names were the same. The nice brass fuel filter was more normally fitted to engines destined for life in cement mixers, to try and keep the larger lumps of grit out of the carb! Still, it looks like you've got a nice restoration project there Brian, should keep you out of mischief for a day or two!
Regards
Philip T-E
Reply to
philipte
I'm sure it will, and many thanks for the advice (so far)!