Russian generator

I was in Milton Keynes on business for much of Monday, but, by arrangement, I called in to see Michael Henriksen in Harpenden & relieve him of his
Russian Cold War generator, complete with box of spares in true Ruski fashion..
It fired up readily enough & banged away in brusque big two strokey fashion - not a good neighbour in a line up, I'm afraid, so will need auxiliary silencing to run all day without pissing everyone off! It is a mains set (well, it can be regulated between 60 volts AC & 250) There is a CPS dial & it delivers 1 kva.
It is BIG, about twice as large as you'd expect - and about twice as heavy too, a real lump to manage on your own.
Drinking vouchers changed hands & we heaved it into the back of the Volvo. I moved it under cover this morning & you can see some photos at
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/84408214zfPqHK
They must have expected to export them, as much of the writing is in English. If anyone can point me in the direction of a manual, I'd be grateful.
I've got quite a collection of these military generators now, WW2 British, American and German. Cold War British, American and Russian. Add in the Geiger Counters & other bits & pieces and it is getting to be worth a dedicated trailer - which is going to be the only way I could ever display them together.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get interesting until you're doing 90.

British,
You will no doubt have seen the very fine Danish Army sets offered on this month's SEM - plug, plug ;-)
--

Nick H

One of the Unix ones, http://marginalhacks.com/Hacks/album/ , is actually a perl script (together with Imaeg Magick) and will also run on Windows and Mac.
-adrian
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 23:26:49 +0100, Adrian Godwin

Much quicker to do it the easy way....Frontpage (if you have to) or Dreamweaver (if you can).
Simple photo galleries can be created with Picassa, which generates the thumbnails, pages and links.
You can do it the hard way if you have many moons to kill and don't mind your engines rusting away while you pull your hair out, but who buys a car with a starting handle nowadays....let technology do the hard work :)
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

The easiest way is to lift the code from a Web Page you like (like http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mdltrly/listerd01.html perhaps) and do it all with FTP - it's actually a lot easier than using Frontpage (if you have to) or Dreamweaver (if you can).
Brian L Dominic
Web Sites: Canals: http://www.brianscanalpages.co.uk Friends of the Cromford Canal: http://www.cromfordcanal.org.uk (Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 17:31:39 +0100, Brian Dominic

No one disputes that stealing requires less effort than working, but is it really what we want to promote here ?
Alan
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

I wouldn't worry too much - it's easily available to anybody who's looking and the easiest way to learn is to copy, paste and modify!
Brian L Dominic
Web Sites: Canals: http://www.brianscanalpages.co.uk Friends of the Cromford Canal: http://www.cromfordcanal.org.uk (Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk
Brian Dominic wrote:

Try NVU <http://www.nvu.com/ Its derived from the Mozilla Composer and is a free WYSIWYG HTML editor that doesn't put propritory nonstandard cr@p in your pages

Or IrfanView (From the Thumbnails manager, not the main program). <http://www.irfanview.com/ An extremely useful free image viewer and converter that doesn't let Google loose on your hard drive.

Operative word being *modify*. By the time its been cleaned up properly the original coder probably will be incapable of recognising it. Besides, where did they get the idea from? Lifting a complicated layout 100% then just changing links text and images is a bit low though. Did the original contain a comment asserting copyright?
When you've got something you like its well worth using the W3C HTML Validation Service <http://validator.w3.org/ to check your code is 'clean'. If it doesn't validate then it probably will give trouble on a different browser and as technical/engineering bods often have strong preferences for non Microsoft browsers it would be a shame to piss off your target audience.
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:12:02 +0100, Brian Dominic

As a former web designer who has had a lot of work stolen I find this attitude wholly offensive. I suppose I should be glad that people like my work enough to want to steal it, but soemhow I don't. I gave up in the end because as you say, it is easy to steal. Far too many people are prepared to be theives nowadays.
Perhaps, if you tell me where you keep your engines I can come and take a few...I mean...you seem to find such things acceptable, and it would be in keeping with your expressed attitude.
Alan
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Brian Dominic wrote:

While it might seem the easy way, unless you know how to check the work you are poaching you end up with as many or more errors than contained in the original. Perhaps it is better to make your own mistakes and in the process learn from them.
--
www.pallotmuseum.co.uk
www.tractordata.co.uk

Yes indeed, we see plenty of our webpages turning up on other folk's sites, still with our own 'peculiarities' in the coding.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Peter A Forbes wrote:

That lazy method always strikes me as being a dead end way of doing things. What really irritates me is those cretins who use images from my sites by hot linking to them. Bit like pinching your TV then sending you the bill for the licence and the electricity to run it. The only cure for that is .htaccess files which means more work.
I tried a different method for the museum site which gives an unexpected result when anyone tries the hot link caper or saving the images. As with every method of trying to protect an image it is easy enough to overcome, but I would love to see the look on the face of someone who has just tried to hot link to one of the images.
--
www.pallotmuseum.co.uk
www.tractordata.co.uk

As you say, not too hard to circumvent, but it should stop the sneak thieves :)
Of course, when they have learned enough to get around this then they would be able to do their own sites anyway.
Well done
Alan
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Very good Richard ;o))
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana