top posting

Just had a bollocking from a newsgroup for top posting. Can someone email me & tell me what I am doing wrong please?

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Hi Colin,If you reply to a posting like this you are top posting

Hi Colin If you reply to a posting like this you are not top posting

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

____________________________________________________________________________ ________________________

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Opinions differ. Google for the full useless interminable crock of ****. IMHO a failure to snip is far more offensive. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

In message , Roland and Celia Craven writes

One reason it is annoying is that if some people top-post and others bottom-post, the sequence of reading becomes confusing - like this one has. So, it's best to keep to one or the other.

A reason for bottom posting rather than top is that if you use a proper .sig file, with a delimiter of "-- " (two minus signs and a space) a proper email reader will strip the file out automatically when replying

- thus avoiding excessive confusion in replies where .sigs have not been stripped. If you were to top post, the .sig file either ends up in the middle of the email, where it either won't be stripped or will cause the preceding post to be treated as a .sig, or it ends up dislocated from the last contributor's contribution.

Failure to snip adequately is, however, the work of the devil and deserves eternal torment.

Wassail!

Reply to
Martin Phillips

Ok Eyes down look in for a re-run of the arguments used in favour of cavalry in WW1 :-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I'm a bit ambivalent about this. If the subject has not wandered from the point, then I think this kind of reply is fine. After all, the subject line tells you what it's all about and the reader can easily pick up the conversation from preceding posts.

I agree with Roland about the tiresome threads that get ever longer, requiring scrolling down to the bit where there are no >>.

Therefore, If I reply, I rip the bottom off and bin it. That said, it isn't a matter of life and death, is it? Only an annoyance, a drop of ink in the pond of life.

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message. Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

:-)

Reply to
Tom

Wasn't it only about the Poms wanting to ride horses, whereas the French wanted to eat them? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom