Two stroke lubrication

True - pardon my confusion of terms ;o))

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Gentlemen, Pardon me for my igrants but I 've always thought that water injection was for perfomance, i.e. instant steam increased Volume/charge not cooling and also to improve pre ignition?

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Water is also useful for de-coking. Amongst others the manual for air-cooled Wisconsins refers to slowly tipping 1/2 pint into a fast running engine. I have tried it and it does work. Sort of steam-cleaning I guess :-) regards Roland

pre-ignition

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Could I use gear oil on my chainsaw ? the motor on mine is electric would that not gum up the brushes :-((

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

When I referred to "effective compression", I meant that as the combustion temperature rises following ignition, the steam expands rapidly, thus increasing the volumetric efficiency. The cooling effects of water injection are also valuable.

Frankly, I'm surprised that it has not been followed up in the automotive world. It was one thing when you had to remember to turn it on and off yourself, but now a chip can do it for you, things are very different.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I saw this on Tomorrow's World - live TV - many years ago - probably in the early '70's) on . The expression on Raymond Baxter's face as the product demonstrator plunged his hand, electric drill an' all into the glass tank of water was worth the license fee in itself

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I've never actually done the maths but I suspect that the heat taken to evaporate the water reduces the chamber temperature and hence volume more than is gained by the volume of steam. As I say, never really worked it out numerically. Anyone tried? Ah chips, wonderful things and you can run a diesel car on the oil used to make them.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Actually it has, although AFAIK only as an after-market kit. I added a water injection kit to a Fiat 124 sport coupe 1800cc twin cam (many years ago) and was quite impressed with the extra performance. It was probably only a few percent but overall, the engine ran smoother and felt more punchy. In those days, mixing water and Fiats was not a good idea! The infinitesimal increase in humidity along with the infinitesimal increase in air flow over the bodywork was enough for it to leave a trail of rust behind it wherever it went. It was four years old when it made its last journey to the scrap yard in sky with terminal tin-worm!!!! - those were the days! :)) In it's remarkably short life, it eat 3 litre Capri's for breakfast! (Actually, I had one of those as well - sick b*****d?).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

Certain models of Saab used water injection (Just pre-GM days, IIRC)

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Wouldn't it be satisfying to get one of they certified checker-uppers we spoke of recently to do this themselves so as to prevent any normal Joe Soap getting a shock. ;-) Come to think of it, perhaps the "expert" who suggested the whole scheme to HM Gov. :-)

In the immortal words of one not far distant "bzzt phhht arrrgh!".

Arthur G

Don't let the b*ggers down your grinder!

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

we still use W.I. on the 5litre Kelvin , twin carb and electronic ignition as well. RPM max=750., top speed about 8mph. :-) Bill

Reply to
Bob Holmes

Quoting from 'The Aeroshell Book':-

"It used to be commonplace for large piston engines to require special fluids to increase their take-off power. Similar injection systems are also incorporated in some turbo-jet and turbo-prop engines. The power increase is achieved by cooling the air consumed to raise its density and thereby increase the weight of air available for combustion. This effect can be obtained by using water alone but it is usual to inject a mixture of methanol and water to produce agreater cooling effect and also to provide additional fuel energy"

The book then gives spec of four power boost fluids, including Joint Service Designation 'WTA' - water!

Reply to
Nick H

There is still a product marketed in a similar way to this. I had a salesman in to see me at work recently who produced a light bulb in a holder on a length of flex with a 13A plug on the end. He then produced an aerosol can and asked for a container of water. At this point my memory kicked in and I told him that if he thought he was going to put that in the water and plug into the mains on my patch, he had better think again. At least he had a RCD plug on this time and he could hold the light by the flex. I still didn't let him do it though.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Unfortunately nothing so interesting, just the super duper waterproofing spray.

chaps who talk about sport. As this is a

match/race/golf bat/snooker queue are even

Well there was this young female one sales rep who was............. But that's another story! Actually, my last girlfriend sold me a mortgage and we were together for 7 years. She was a lovely girl but never would tell me when the interview would end. Sort of a continual assessment I suppose.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Don't just leave us hanging, John. What was he selling? Underwater light fittings?

You do have a lot of luck with your sales reps, we get dull but persistent chaps who talk about sport. As this is a topic of which I know nothing, I've no idea whether their opinions on the match/race/golf bat/snooker queue are even remotely risible!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

When I was parts managing in the '70's, there was a very enterprising young lady who was a van rep for a brake relining company in Bristol. She ran an excellent - and extremely popular - personal incentive scheme to get orders. There was a sliding scale of rewards and I've no doubt that many on many a garage, main dealer and motor factor was wildly overstocked in the Gaderene rush. The service was swift and efficient - and the friction products were delivered quickly too.

She did so well that one of their local competitors when bust and a big national company seriously considered closing their Bristol depot.

She was safely promoted to an area job within a few months where persons more elevated than I no doubt received the benefits of her endeavours.

- and this is entirely On Topic, relating as it does to two stroke activity of a lubricious nature ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

All politicians are like nappies . . . . .

message

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Sort of missed this first time around. Large marine diesels are now using Direct Water Injection to reduce NOx emissions. Using a combined fuel & water injection valve with a separate needle valve for each, water injection starts first to cool down the combustion space to ensure low NOx formation before fuel ignition. Water pressure can be from 200-400 bar. NOx reduction is in the order of 50-60% with no detrimental effects. The ratio of water to fuel injected is from 0.4 to 0.7 with the power output unaffected.

Tom

Reply to
Tom