unsold engines (ebay)

A couple of engines which failed to sell on ebay recently (why don't you plug your auctions on here Dan?):-

Nice Enfield 'sloper' (I'll get one one day!)

Suprised this ex Wade dragsaw engine didn't sell, only Amanco money (anybody remember what it was up for on Steptoe's Yard site?) and would add welcome variety to any rally line-up.

Nick H

Nick,

I don't plug my auctions on the group as most regular readers would find them easy enough on ebay anyway, and I wouldn't want to deny anyone the chance of being outbid at the last minute ;-)

Enfield sloper is still available - contact me off list if you're interested. I will admit that I was chancing my arm with the Wade - as I said in the listing, I shall probably keep it - I just need to find some funding for other projects at the moment...

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Thanks Dan but at the moment an Enfield diesel is just one of those many engines in my fantasy stable and I'm sure that one will follow me home eventually. A combination of resolve not to acquire any new projects until I have finished some of those I have, plus lack of space and laziness (200mile round trip to Peterborough) meant I decided not to bid on yours, had it been sitting in front of me at sodbury though my resolve may well have weakened!

I'm sure you won't regret hanging on to the Wade, I'd be pleased to see it at any rally. I note it has a mag as do most here while the Americans seem to have favoured a buzz coil, do you know if they were made under licence in UK or imported? Also, am I right in thinking they are innocent of throttle the main speed control being ignition timing, wonder how well it will run without the load of the dragsaw.

Reply to
Nick H

Your assumption is correct and they were imported. ....as well as any unloaded 2T. Your views on the beast might change after wearing your hand out pulling the flywheel over :-)

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Nick,

As i pass Dan's in the course of my work quite regularly I am more than willing to assist your laziness by fetching the Enfield for you. :-))

Mart> Thanks Dan but at the moment an Enfield diesel is just one of those

Reply to
Campingstoveman

That just leaves the lack of space and ever weakening resolve then!

Reply to
Nick H

"Roland Craven" wrote (snip):-

While most dragsaws have an air of menace about them, the two-stroke Wade variety always looks particularly lethal. At least with just the engine one might aspire to retaining the hand, however worn ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

"Tom" wrote

Now that IS scary!

Reply to
Nick H

For lethality, consider this from Australia in the 50s:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yard? Oh you mean Helen's lovingly tended garden!

My usual drill at sales is to walk around the field a couple of times and hope that somebody else buys whatever it is that is tempting me, in this instance I'll sleep on it for the same reason. PC going off now, night night.

Reply to
Nick H

"Nick H" wrote:-

Stop Press - Thanks Kim!!!!!! :-)

Reply to
Nick H

Space can be created either vertically or you throw a tarpaulin over it in the yard, eventually verdigris grows and nobody notices it as it blends into the back ground :-)) Make your decision soon as I am going to Peterborough on Wednesday :-)) to meet one of my colleagues to head north for the day.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

You're right about it running like a three legged dog without any load, the only control is on the advance and retard, and every so often it just decides to fool around...A rag or similar applied to the flywheel rim as a light resistance smooths things out nicely - it really needs a dynamo, centrifugal pump, or hydraulic pump as a constant load. A friend of mine had one on a dragsaw, and that never really ran nicely, eventually it sheared the crank and left me holding the flywheel as I tried to start it! The knack with starting it is to bounce it against compression the wrong way and it will go, pull it through compression in the right direction and you'll be there all day, as I found out the hard way!!!

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden