Upcoming UK visit..

Well it is official, I'm to carry my daughter's bags when she transfers to the UK in April. After settling her in Edinburgh I'll have a couple of weeks plus to fill in. I'm putting an itinerary together of people to meet and places to go and welcome any suggestions and possible venues of engine meets that are to be held in the latter half of April.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom

martin hirst

Hi Martin Thanks for that, I've put a digital pin in my digital map! :-) That will be a relatively simple excursion compared to visiting Castell Pridd Farm.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Going on mail I've received, I need to rectify a misconception I've created: I won't be based in Edinburgh.

I'll be spending my free weeks, traveling hither n thither, seeking out things of mechanical intricacy, owners of such and books, one can never have enough books.. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Aahh... the excess baggage! :-))

Having brought back two very large reel-to-reel tape recorders, all sorts of mahogany cased instruments, and other miscellania I have to say that the airlines I have been on recently have been very good with baggage weights, especially Virgin on the London-California route.

When you have to borrow more luggage cases from the friends you are visiting, or in our case we went and bought a brand new set (cheaper than buying in the UK) then you know that you've had a good day at the book shop / flea market / rally / show!!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Tell me about it. I always traveled outward with my suitcase inside another. I once turned up at Victoria Station with one suitcase at 130lb and the other at 90lb, heading for home via Gatwick and the US. They just about shredded my tickets looking for weight limits, but in those halcyon days of last century travel, baggage to the US was only limited by size. At LAX they thought I was packing grenades and bazookas as they weren't oil pump and beemer silencer aware. the crankshaft I had didn't bother them..

OTOH, are you aware that the good ole days of 32kg suitcases via the US are over, Peter? About 3 weeks ago airlines dropped it to

23 kg. :-( Apparently it was those dastardly Air Canada types that lead the way.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Few years ago on the way back from the Gulf I was traveling Muscat, Oman to Schipol, NL then hopping back over to East Midlands on one of those delightful flying transit vans.

Arrived back after a delay at E Mid's at 2.00 am, big bloke on his own carrying two cases 50 kg each, full of geodes [ fancy rocks ] inbound from Amsterdam, the drugs capital of the world.

I knew I'd be pulled, no one can walk, nay stagger , thru customs with their knuckles dragging on the cheap shag pile carpet.

?

No, didn't happen , they just stood there arms folded and bottom lips equal in length to my arms.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

We won't be going overseas this year, we were due to go in May to see out friends in Phoenix (Ex-California) but the M-I-L has gone into hospital so we are cancelling trips until she is out again.

I wasn't aware of the change, thanks for letting me know, better be prepared!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Can you blame them? Who would want to tangle with a Neanderthal at that time of the morning? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

LOL

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

small fry to you lot but I got charged £16 both ways for being 3 Kilo's over flying to and from Dublin last week :-))

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I made some inquiries the other day about excess baggage and charges varied between airlines between NZ$11.20kg plus NZ$75 handling charge to NZ$83.00kg! :-O

Tom

Reply to
Tom

As of November last year, Heathrow Baggage Handlers refuse to deal with baggage weighing in excess of 35 kilos. This is a Union thing, not airline, so applies across the board - I take it that it applies at other UK airports, though I only speak from Heathrow experience.

At Dulles, (Washington DC), they were very picky about the weight. Although the two cases came to the correct total amount, one was light & the other over. They waited patiently whilst we ripped them open & transferred stuff from one to the other.

That said, they never batted an eyelid over my six foot walking staff that I'd hewn with my Leatherman from a dead Dogwood tree in the Appalachian Forest. Stuck it in a plastic bag & it was the first thing on the carousel at Heathrow!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

So much for UK bio-security!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Didn't it have to go into quarantine ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:52:50 -0000, "Kim Siddorn" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

You may be aware that the "normal" weight limit under H&S is actually

25kg........................

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

So what weight are your bags of cement?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Oohhh, thanks for the heads up. That'll be the 30th then?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

These days 25kg... or a shade under 1/2cwt.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The ones the public can buy are 25kg................. as is the sand.