VW engine

Missed that one but, yes, VW did make industrial/stationary versions of the flat four. Indeed you could have bought one on ebay just a few weeks ago:-

idea what the differences (apart from the obvious magneto ignition) are though.

Reply to
Nick H

Did anyone else see Salvage Squad last night? They restored a Snow Cat and the engine was a VW flat twin. I assumed it was a beetle engine until they said it was no ordinary VW engine but an industrial one. Did VW make stationary versions of the Beetle lump? If so, what is the difference?

John

Reply to
John Manders

I noticed the reference too, so was pleased to see this thread. I think Salvage Squad is much better now they've got rid of the two dead heads. All they need to do now is to replace Suggs with Fred Dibnah and they'd have a good show on their hands!

It looks as though the enthusiastically priced VW engine didn't sell. I know it's new and all that, but that's a lot of money IMHO.

I remember the two VW fan motors in the 007 soundstage at Pinewood. They used them when I was there filming a pop video in the Big Tank about ten years ago. The two VW engines were incredibly noisy, but the Alvis Leonides radial was a slow running pussy cat and purred like one!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail is confidential, legally privileged and - unless otherwise stated in the message body - is intended for the sole attention of the addressee. If you are not this person, please do not read, save, re-transmit or print the information it contains. Views expressed herein may or may not be the established policy of Regia Anglorum. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.

Weekly updated anti-virus software was used in the generation of this e-mail and any attachments, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that their incoming mail is virus free.

J K Siddorn

Quite common, we had a few gennies with these in, but not so good in a sound proofed housing as the cooling airflow is affected and the power drops.

Compression ratio is different, sometimes a magneto rather than coil ignition etc etc. We had a few at the film & TV place for powering wind machines (plus a BIG radial which was used in desert scenes to create sandstorms)

There is/was a new VW on ebay $US1390.00.

Prepair Ltd

"John Manders" wrote

We did email Wall to Wall and suggest the Proteus as a fun exercise :-)

We have now had the offer of up to two new engines with virtually no hours as well as a 3MW alternator and switchgear so the plan is now to set up a full working power station.

Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans