My New Toy!!

We had fun getting this one in the shed!!

Enjoy the pics.

I hope it doesn't need to come out again.

Who said size doesn't matter.

John

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

I think John must be a very small person, either that or thats some lump of iron!!!

Do you have anything on its history?

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

Reply to
Chris Bedo

"> I think John must be a very small person, either that or thats some lump

I don't know much yet. It is a 50hp Cmapbell lamp start oil engine. I am told that it dates from 1914 and was originally installed in a pumping station in Rodney Stoke for drainage of the Somerset levels. I am going to make a few calls to try and find out a bit more.

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

Very frustrating - I can't see the pics. Any ideas why anyone?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ACD SendPix was unable to process your request to view this photo album. This may be the result of firewall software installed on the computer you are using. Some firewalls may block standard internet protocol information required by the SendPix server to present the pictures in your photo album. This information is not stored on any ACD server. ACD Privacy Policy.

For further details or to reconfigure your firewall and access SendPix albums, please refer to the following page: Firewall Configuration

If you continue to experience problems with viewing SendPix albums, please contact ACD Technical Support at: Technical Support Contact Page

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hmm, I can no problem.

I just have one comment WOW!!!

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Reply to
Campingstoveman

No problem here in deepest Bedfordshire, must be the Blue Blunder Narrow band your using Kim.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Very nice too. Isn't that one I've seen advertised on Smokestak with a very large price tag. As Pete said some history would be interesting. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Thanks for the compliment Roland. It is a very impressive piece close up.

It was even bigger than I had reckoned on hence the missing brickwork to get the crank in the door. It was still a tight fit.

Now it is in though there is suprisingly plenty of room for it.

I believe you are correct about it having been advertised on Smokestak. I am not prepared to discuss prices but sadly my treasured Bolinder left on somebody elses trailer the same day the Campbell arrived. So sacrifices were made.

John Palmer is down in SE mag as being the contact for Campbell's so he will be my first port of call for information on the engines history.

John

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

I like the two strategically placed cut outs in the brick work each side of the doorway to let the ends of the shaft pass through. B-)

Pumping engine... reminds me I wonder if the large steam(*) pumping engine is still in the engine house next to the reservoir on Oakfield Road Clifton, Bristol.

When I saw it many (>15) years ago it looked as if it was just as it was left when the new electric pumping station next door was commisioned. From the style of that, relatively new, building late

50's early 60's...

(*) I say steam due to the area of land adjacent running between the covered reservoir and Oakfield Road that is(?) a car park for one of the local accountancy companies. This was refered to as the coal yard during my visit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well it's a beauty! Dare I ask how much this wee girl weighs?

She looks so impressive, I just wish I could have something similar, but my sheds are full!

Well done Sir!

Andy G

Reply to
Andy Greening

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

I think that she weighs in at around 7 tons. The flywheel is 6' 10" dia so probably wighs about 2 tons on its own. It is double keyed with the boss being split and then cottered to the crank. Talk about belt and braces. The crank has to be the most impressive single piece. It is about as thick as my thigh.

John

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith