Wessex SE spring Sort Out

Off to Cranmore for the club sort out this morning. I got there about 9.15 and my first swift walk round indicated that there wasn't a lot to interest me. That said, I still spent close to a hundred quid, so it's just as well there wasn't anything I really wanted!

The first sixteen pics in Webshots album

The big thing - two feet long, a foot high with a 12" dial and weighing fifty pounds - was the Bailey Gyrometer (tachometer to us ordinary mortals) which reads from 200 to 800 RPM. In pretty good working order, it will go very nicely on the Crossley (180 - 425) , although I understand from a further legend on the dial that says "Belliss and Morcom" that it may have originally graced a hot fog engine. He wanted £65, but I offered him £50 & walked away when he said no. I left it as long as I dared -30 minutes) and went back. It was still there so I paid him what he asked and put it in the car. As I did so, a bloke grinned at me and said "beat me to it, you bu**er!", so that was alright then ..........

There was a very unmucked about with early British Seagull outboard which reeked of old two stroke oil mixture. It followed me home too, not because I loved it especially, but it was a reasonable price and it seemed to me a good thing to have about for swapping.

Then a big box of l-o-n-g coach bolts for a couple of quid, just the right length for trolley building.

I'd twice walked past a 'uge great dynamo, newly painted Lister Green and looking quite imposing. It had "120" neatly written on it in paint near the junction box and I thought that was a tad expensive (!) so walked on. However, in discussion about something else on my third pass, I noticed that it had a cardboard label on it with a MUCH better price on it, the "120" appearing as the voltage! It was quite heavy, so I backed the car up to the trailer, he lifted his tailgate onto my bumper as I reversed and we slid it into the back without lifting. It's still in the back of the car as it is such a lump (2-3 cwt) I need to plan the next bit!

I only bought it on spec really, not being much fussed as if I cannot use it, someone will love its hulking, square jawed presence! Having got a cover plate off and looked inside, it occurred to me it might be a motor not a dynamo. How do I tell? Ideas anyone? And while I'm about it, is there any way - arcane or simple - of telling what voltage a dynamo produces or a motor is designed to use once the manufacturers label has been removed?

I noticed an ex Bryan Sharp ST P6 marine engine for sale, clean and tidy, £275 on a trolley. A year ago I'd have dickered with him, but I've got too many ST's now.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Why hot fog? Why not oily stuff?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I don't know, Tom, just what the man told me ;o))

He seemed to think the Bellis and Morcom bit was significant in a steam context.

What date would you put on it?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Used to see them fitted to large compressors thar Bellis & Morcom made also.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

B & M were making diesel & steam engines at the same time, I was curious as to the emphasis on steam..

As for the date, definitely last century..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tacho off a steam engine, high speed compound or triple, seen rather a lot of them over the years and they are rather nice.

Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

them over the years and they are rather

So you are saying they are "steam" driven?

Tom

Reply to
Tom