What is this ?

Does anyone know what this might be ?. EBay item 330159487329 A strange twin cylinder engine.

Reply to
crn

c> Does anyone know what this might be ?. EBay item c> 330159487329 A strange twin cylinder engine.

Haven't looked at it on the 'big screen' yet, but from the general layout and name on the carb I'd suggest it may be Trojan engine. Aparently some were supplied in stationary form but more of Leslie Hounsfield's iconoclastic lumps probably lived on after the equally wierd car was scrapped.

googling Trojan Hounsfield car etc should provide enough info to confirm or otherwise.

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Curiously a quick flick on google has failed to produce a picture of the Trojan engine. However having now looked at the pictures properly, I am convinced that is what it is - though wjether it started life as a stationary engine or in a vehicle, I have no idea.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

I don't think it would be in a vehicle with those flywheels and bottom end.

Oily

Reply to
Oily

"Oily" wrote

Not much about the Trojan car was as you'd expect - the engine, hefty bottom end and huge flywheel included, sits horizontally under the floor on a punt type chassis (think Citroen 2CV). Two speed epicyclic transmission, chain drive to the solid back axle and solid tyres complete the package!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

You may be right, the Trojan I had was a '58 one ton van with a Perkins P3, though the bloke I got it from said it originally had a two stroke twin fitted with a pull start. Maybe I don't believe him now. :-)

Oily

Reply to
Oily

First boat I part-owned, a wooden Leeds & Liverpool 'short boat', we fitted an ex-Trojan P3 with its original David Brown gearbox.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Reply to
SYLVIA WALKER

"SYLVIA WALKER" wrote

I imagine the solid rear axle (no diff) help as well!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H