What on earth is wrong with this magneto?

It's the screened type, often used on military equipment to prevent radio interferance. The Wico 'A' is generally a pretty reiable mag so you can consider yourself pretty unlucky if you get two 'duds' in a row. But watch out for the numerous variations in drive, mounting and of course direction of rotation. Hopefully be able to mix and match parts until you have one which both works and fits.

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

I'd be interested to hear what the prices are for a rewind and a capacitor. I've just had an Eismann rebuilt (early one with "Made in Germany" stamped on it) coil, capacitor & slip ring (which needed turning to suit) £100

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Woo-hoo! You just bought a magneto as fitted to Scott PAB's! AFAIK, the top exit for the HT lead is only fitted to this engine - and if I'm wrong, this is just the place to find out! ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

As regardsto my man in hull - If anyone wants his number give me a ring during workijng hours 01482 217887 and ask for me - I have his number at work Julian

Reply to
jagojules

kimsiddorn wrote (snip):

How right you are. Scott/Jowett parts doc. lists "MAGNETOS, Wico, A.839Z, screened, clockwise" (original capitalisation) as the appropriate instrument for the job! No doubt someone with a Wico master applications list (Peter) could tell you what the A868BZ. E112848 originally fitted!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Yep, just swap the cams and part of the impulse mechanism (ISTR the plate that carried the bob weights is different) over to change rotation.

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

I bought the magneto partly because I thought it was cool. I've always thought it was a pity that the top cover of the Wico Series "A" magneto was made from plastic. Here, it seems, is the solution :-).

Hopefully I'll be able to use it, although I think it'll necessitate leaving the magneto cover off the lawnmower. But I think it'll be worth it. A cool magneto like that needs to be used.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks. If I can't fix it myself, I'll give you a call.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Interesting. Thanks for the information. It looks like I will need to do some mixing of parts, then. I need a magneto which rotates anticlockwise. But I assume that the coils in both clockwise and anticlockwise magnetos are the same.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

I have a reverse rotation WD8, but that has the common Wico magneto with the black plastic lid. Guess they changed as time progressed. I've not seen an all-metal Series "A" magneto before.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

What has not come across so far is that the Alloy coil cover is used with screened leads and plugs and does not work with rubber/plastic leads. Screened HT Wico covers are not unique to a particular engine but were fitted to any engine intended for military service where stray RF radiation would be an issue.

hth Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

If the worst comes to the worst, I can just use the plastic cover off the non-functional magneto.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I've now received the magneto and Roland was right. It's not just the aluminium coil cover which is unsuitable for use with unscreened spark leads. It's the coil too. The coil has a deeply recessed spring terminal which is only compatible with the aluminium cover. The spark lead has a little button-like metal terminal soldered onto the end, which is pressed against the spring terminal. The pressing is done by the screened lead cover, which gives the lead very little room to move or change shape.

The good news is that the magneto coil is in good condition. The magneto is also complete apart from its capacitor, which is replaceable, if a little expensive. The coil's insulation resistance is 30 megohms. It appears to have been thoroughly sealed with a black resin as opposed to the paper and shellac used to seal the failed coil. So I'd like to use this magneto, but I need to figure out a way to keep an unscreened spark lead pressed into the top of the magneto. It just needs to be something which will grip the sheath of the lead. Does anyone know if Wico made an adaptor for the purpose? If so, are they difficult to find?

If not, I think I can turn an adaptor from a piece of 3/4" round stainless steel bar, if I can find some.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy