FAIR BANKS MORSE

I was offered a fairbanks morse z type 1.5hp today, not been run for several years, but dry stored.im tempted to buy it but there is one problem,no ignition, the owner thinks it should be trenbler coil. i have no idea of what one looks like let alone where to obtain one does any one on hear have such a coil/ engine&would e mail a picture i would be most gratefull for any help.i seem to remember reading about some one making a ignition system from a flourecent light fitting it might have been on this site i did have the details on my old pc before my hard drive went to that great hard drive heaven in the sky!lesson learnt, now back up my data.regards andy.

Reply to
Andy Merrifield

If it is an LT ignition model (pre about 1918) then, as you say, a ballast or choking coil from a fluorescent light can be used - simply wire battery, coil, switch and ignitor all in series. Later models had HT (spark plug) ignition fired either by a magneto or, in the case of the 'competition' model, by a trembler coil. Trembler coils, usually of the model T Ford type, often appear for sale at rallies and seem to last well - I have had scabby old examples bought for a couple of quid work perfectly well. The Engineers Emporium sell new ones (see picture):-

for considerably more than a couple of quid! I suspect they are available in the 'States for sensible money. Again wiring is pretty simple - battery, switch and contacts all in series and HT lead to plug - the only problem which might arise is if the engine was originally fitted with a magneto, in which case you will need to arrange some contacts to complete the circuit at the appropriate moment.

All in all, the lack of ignition should not be a problem. If you like the engine and the price, snap it up!

Reply to
Nick H

"Andy Merrifield" wrote ..... "owner thinks it should be trenbler coil"

Andy --

Re trembler coil.

I hate posting via Google. Just spent 20 minutes typing a reply & Google blew it out .......... Here's a shorter version.

Suspect these are what's also known as buzz coils. Of course, I may well be totally wrong! If right, these were very common on low-cost US engines of the 10's & 20's. Google will yield many articles & comments re making these

-- try Google groups as well as the web. Has been discussed many times in ATIS.

I think you can jury-rig a simple circuit via a battery to get you started. Others on this forum will know ....

Before you laboriously make your own coil, check out US eBay. These coils frequently appear there for little money. I have one somewhere that I bought that way when in the US, but it's lost since I moved house. Postage needn't be expensive, even 'tho the coil will be a weighty little thing. US postal rates are very much cheaper than UK rates, & if you are not in a hurry, ask for economy, or some such. Just say you want the cheapest possible -- can be 1/5th of the price of standard mail on international shipping.

Is this FM a dishpan, or does it have spoked flywheels? I have a FM Z 6hp, but that's got a LT mag.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne