Wico question

You may remember that some while ago I was debating whether to fit a Wico A to my Scott SE, well I showed them to each other today and the mag does suit the lines of the engine pretty well. However it would mean the mag operating on its side - will this upset Wico's cunning felt pad and disc lubrication system? ISTR some Fowlers wear their Wicos in this orientation, is the lube system modified in any way to cope?

Reply to
Nick H

Shouldn't make any difference at all.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote

That's good. I realised of course that the felt pad resevoir would not be orientation sesitive (though I wondered they might at least have amended the "fill to overflowing" tag and perhaps blanked off the lower lube point), but wasn't so sure if the feed from the scraper to the bearing bush would work ok.

Reply to
Nick H

I'd not worry about it Nick, it's not as if its going to see extended service, is it? Further, I'd have thought the oil would creep off the pad by capillary action and if you use something fairly dense, it will be flung off rather than creep down past the bearing and into the magneto body. Still, the only way to find out is to do it, innit!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The Bamford EG's have the mag hanging over at an angle, and they were built that way....

Peter

Prepair Ltd

"Kim Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

Bang to rights mister! What was the phrase you used - I seldom start what I've finished ;-)

For those unfamiliar with Wico's lubrication system - a felt pad saturated with oil is held in contact with a rotating steel disc thus coating the disc with a thin film of oil. A lightly sprung fibre blade scrapes off part of the oil film as it passes and this oil is delivered to the bearing bush. In theory any excess which makes its way out of the ends of the bush is returned to the felt pad reservoir.

Reply to
Nick H