Zenith Carb adjustments

Gents,

To continue the updates on my Cov Cilmax genset (if anyone is interested), I've now managed to get the old girl running, turned out the prevous owner had got the leads marked up wrong! She runs ok, with a little missfire, which could be a lead, I've not checked yet.

I was just wondering how to adjust the mixture on the carb (i'm not used to anything other than SU's!). It's a downdraught Zenith, and thats about all I know about it!

Have managed to get the alternator back in it's rightfull position (on top of the engine), but was just wondering if anyone knows of a source of long v-belts (the pulleys are about 3 foot from each other's centers) also can you still get 'B' section belts?

Hope I'm not boring you all......

Andy G

Reply to
Andy Greening

Andy I have a few old B belts of around that length. Let me have the exact measurement off-group as I'm supposed to be visiting you soon I think :-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Did you find the manual on Internal Fire site? That might have some instructions on carb twiddledge.

Nick H

Just had a look myself and manual is clearly for a different set - genny to one side of engine and updraft Zenith with apparently nothing to twiddle at all - how dull!

Reply to
Nick H

B section belts are available from most bearing/power transmission suppliers. They will need the length of the belt though. Avoid the rubber tube type called Redthane. It stretches forever.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Yes I was a little disapointed too, but I have found the manual useful for other bits and bobs.

Thanks again all.

Ag

Andy Greening

I have no particular knowledge of this sort of carb, are there many screws to twiddle? Usually these fairly basic instruments only run to a throttle stop and an air bleed for idle mixture adjustment - everything else is just a matter of having the correct (and unworn) jets fitted.

Reply to
Nick H

No, 'idle' in this context means running light but at governed speed rather than a car style tickover. If it's sitting steady on the governor and not misfiring or hunting up and down then it's probably not far off the mark - if not, then twiddle 'till it does!

(BTW I prefer SU's as well!)

Reply to
Nick H

Ah so it's an air bleed then! So what is the pratice to adjust that then (there doesn't seem to be anything else I can fiddle with :-(, But then again it's probably for the best!)?

I suppose the govverner will have to be disconnected to adjust the idle (unless you can call the governed 2000rpm idle!?).

Andy G

> entry%20Climax

Reply to
Andy Greening

Well she certainly misfires at the moment! So I'll have a fiddle and see how much worse I can make her run :-))

Thanks

Andy G

Reply to
Andy Greening

Kim seem to have the monopoly on these, viz Parsons engine and I think a Reliant powered genset. But there are probably others as well.

Reply to
Nick H

========= Sometimes differentiated over here as "high idle" or "low idle".

Jack Watson

Reply to
Jack Watson

This should probably be on a separate thread but were SU's ever fitted to stationary engines? I prefer them as well, particularly when more than one is used on an engine.

John

Reply to
John Manders