00 Gauge footbrige

Prefer a generic kit myself as there are too many local variations in real life for any one design to cover. Likewise signal boxes.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I know. But take one of those and use it between platforms and it is too high.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

We're not talking about generic footbridges. Neither Hornby one is generic. The current one is GWR and the Skaledale one NER.

They both require surgery for the use that is more common on model railway layouts.

I doubt the Skaledale one could even be altered.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

It doesn't matter which region they represent, they would still require surgery. Not all footbridges are U-shaped. Some are zig-zag, some are L-shaped, some are in-line, some cross the line at an angle or any combination of these factors. Even within small geographical areas there are huge differences in design. Short of designing the layout around the footbridge there is no way around it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The Hornby kit I have offers two different heights for platform fitting and trackside fitting included in the instructions and also has extensions to the supports for trackside fitting.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie Bray

Nobody is suggesting that.

However the most modelled configuration is between platforms. And as supplied the footbridges are too high for this. Which screams "toy".

I know that each line had its own standard. I know that they came in various configurations. Nobody is asking that they model all of them, that is a straw man - just that they do the most commonly modelled configuration. Between platforms. Eg lower versions of both Hornby ones.

I doubt that the NER footbridge (Skaledale) could be butchered for platform use. You would need to remove steps above and below the halfway level section - which breaks the curve. Besides which the body looks like a solid resin casting

Several people have successfully modified Hornby's earlier GWR footbridge for platform mounting. They have done likewise to Kittle Hobby's O scale footbridge.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

OK.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

OK.

As does the Metcalf cardboard one. ! Very nice, but can you make it into a staircase from a building ala GN style ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Bridges of this design can be seen at Pickering and Goathland on the NYMR.

Reply to
MartinS

But the giraffe in the wagon and teddy riding on the engine will get knocked off if they make the footbridge lower. :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Unless the giraffe ducks as it goes under the bridge.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

The giraffe has a name you know :o)

(kim)