Absolute beginner needs help

I'm interested in building a layout on which the track is permanently attached. However I'd like the layout to be divisible into blocks for easier storage (say a 8' by 6' board divided into four 3' by 4' boards). Can anyone explain to me how I'd get the track to join, preferentially without using removable bits.

Reply to
Mark W

=>I'm interested in building a layout on which the track is permanently =>attached. However I'd like the layout to be divisible into blocks for easier =>storage (say a 8' by 6' board divided into four 3' by 4' boards). Can anyone =>explain to me how I'd get the track to join, preferentially without using =>removable bits.

Difficult to do without removable bits, as no matter how hard you try to prevent it, there will be slight warpage, etc. OTOH, one method I've seen but not tried that counteracts the warpage is as follows: use three door hinges with removable pins, two vertical ones connecting the sideframes of the base boards, and one horizontal one connecting the end frames, near the top, which means the track itself will have to be laid on an elevated subroadbed. If you decide to go this route, first experiment without laying any track, just to see how well the units will rejoin after separation. When satisfied, lay your track over the joint, make sure the rails are securely fastened for 2in or more either side of the future gap, then cut through the rails at the joint, and file a slight angle to the inside and top edges of the rails on both sides of the joint. I would make the baseboard frame should be at least

10cm deep.

HTH&GL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

You need to get the baseboards to line up - the track will follow.

Alignment dowels and track-end protectors (which can incorporate electrical continuity) are available from the C&L range. You can get them from any of their stockists (see his website). I can supply them - please email me off-list if you are interested in buying over the Internet (I can take payment by Credit/Debit card via Paypal)

In message , Mark W writes

Reply to
Stephen Freeman