What's the group's opinion on Metcalfe models card platform kits? Thinking
of using some, mostly straight but one section will need to curve. Anyone
got any experience of building these? How easy is it, how good/realistic do
I bought a pack and assembled a few sections. Even with card stiffeners,
they are very light in weight and the joins between sections are
visible, but I guess they're OK for portable layouts, or if you have
curved platforms. For straight platforms on a permanent layout, I opted
to go with pine boards, 0.75in. thick, topped by 0.125in. matt grey
artist's board, of which I happened to have a sheet. The platforms were
screwed to the baseboard from the underside. For the stone edges and
platform walls, I scanned the Metcalfe sheets, did some editing, and
printed strips of them onto adhesive-backed full-sheet label paper. I
cut supports for the end ramps from the Metcalfe stiffening card. My
track is mounted on cork ballast strips, giving a rail to platform
height of about 0.5 inches. My station building is by Metcalfe, based on
the Haworth Midland Railway style station on the Worth Valley line.
For platform fencing, I used LMS black plastic fencing (Ratio?) attached
to short lengths of thin brass rod fitted into holes drilled near the
back edge of the platform. Attached with fine copper wire, superglued,
then touched up in satin black, the supports are almost invisible.
I have made their platform kits, I am not what youwould call an expert model
maker, but I am pretty happy with the results. The quality of them is not
the same as their other buildings as a lot of the cutting and shaping is
done yourself, but If you are good with cutting and glueing then a decent
job shouldnt be too un-achievable.
One thing i think lets it down is the tarmac sheets, as they dont join very
well. Paving stones or something similar would probably look better as you
could hide the joins in the sheets, although not sure on the authentiicty of
using pave stones on a platform.
Personally, I did not find joining the sheets too much of a problem. I used
some UHU along the edges that were to be joined, and once dry, although not
completely invisible, the join did not 'stick out' too much.
I have mane some (Curved) platform kits from Metcalfe and am very happy with
them. After I completed the card part, I mixed together some gray and black
fine ballast, covered the platform with scenic cement and then "sived" the
mix on lightly. When it was dry, I scraped away the ballast from the front
edge of the platform and then added the white paving strips. These were then
weathered using Carrs powders and a bit of grass here and there.