New range of OO building kits

4Ground Model Kits and Miniatures, manufacturer of gaming and historical building kits in 15-28mm scale, has a new range of 4mm scale trackside building and accessory kits made of laser-cut card and thin MDF. Building walls and roof panels slot together. According to comments, these joints benefit greatly from painting, although the parts are already coloured. There are stick-on ridge tiles to cover up the somewhat crude roof joints.

They are costlier than card kits from Metcalfe, Kingsway, etc., but the finished models are apparently quite sturdy, as well as being easy to assemble. They're available from 4Ground direct, or from Hattons and other retailers. Take a look:

MartinS

The "Welcome" is dated May 2013, 29 months ago. The "Painting tips" PDF is still "Coming soon". There is no freebie model to test the quality of the product (eg, a garden shed or suburban single-car garage). No closeups of finished models.

Not a well thought out marketing plan IMO.

Have a good day,

Reply to
Wolf K

So then I went to 4ground's main site. It wants to set permanent cookies, and won't let me close the tab when I check "Allow for Session" (Firefox gives me control over cookies). A _nasty_ website, IOW. And stupid too: one can delete cookies after using a website, don't the eejits know that? On my Never Go Back list.

Have a good day,

Reply to
Wolf K

Hi, Wolf. They've just shown up on Hattons website; it's the first time I've seen them. I don't believe Metcalfe or others who deal only in physical kits and don't have downloadable ones offer any freebies.

If you mouse over "OO Gauge" in the left panel of the 4Ground webpage and select "Trackside Essentials" on the sub-menu that opens, you'll find some smaller, less expensive expensive items including

fences and walls. The pictures provided appear to be CAD drawings, but you can find photos and reviews of finished models by searching the net.

I can't vouch for 4Ground's quality or accuracy, but they're just another option for 4mm scale modellers. There are many sources for downloadable and/or pre-printed UK card kits including

,
,
,
,
,
and www.hallroyd junction.co.uk ; several offer selected free downloads.
has an extensive range of card kits for

2, 3.5, 4 and 7mm sclaes; the "contact" page tells you how to obtain them.
Reply to
MartinS

Strange. Firefox allowed me to set Session cookies for the home page.

The OO models can also be viewed on the Hattons site. Prices are slightly cheaper and the VAT rebate on overseas orders often pays the shipping cost.

Reply to
MartinS

'k, I'll go back sometime and check them out.

Reply to
Wolf K