Bachmann Southern EMU models

If you're interested, take a look at

Jane Sullivan

Just checked date, and no it isn't April 1st... ;)

Well, if they do them in Blue/Grey, I'll get one. But I'd rather have TCs and REPs... ;)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Marvellous, and in original green as well. I can feel a 'new stock delivery train' coming on already.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

And just to rub salt into Hornby's wound, they did the Margate run :o)

Anyone know if these same units trundled between Whitstable and Margate in the early 1960's?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

So is this real, rebuilt and original jubilees, scots and patriots. Does anyone else care ?

Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Yup, I care - I want a nice 'Jubilee' with a DCC-ready chassis with decent drive, but wish they'd decided to tackle the B1, J39 & V1/3 instead.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I appear to have missed something. What do LMS locos have to do with the

4-CEP?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Bachmann said to have announced upgrade to them. So recon they should ignore this 4-CEP whatever it is and concentrate on proper ones. Simon

Reply to
simon

Always wanted a B1. But as only a visitor to LMS - albeit frequent, it can wait till after others. Simon

Reply to
simon

I'm an LMS-fan myself but used to holiday at Sea Salter (near Whitstable) and Ramsgate in the early 1960's, hence my interest in the 4CEP. (Anyone remember the 1962 Kent heatwave?).

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I wasn't even a blip on the radar screen in 1962.

But rather than announcing new stuff, I'd much rather Bachmann delivered on what they promised would be available last year, like the Fairburn tank.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Oh dear, perhaps not. All units were built at Ashford or Eastleigh, not at York like the later versions.

Hey, Hornby. How about a 'competing' 4-VEP?

;-)

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

Agree generally but in this case it takes away the question of wether to buy old mainline and/or more recent Bachmann. Do you have something running from whats quite a big chunk of LMS or wait and save money just in case.

Now does anyone know if can convert old Scots etc into something different ? Simon

Reply to
simon

I doubt if Bachmann will invest in the moulds for a big-boilered Jubilee anytime soon so it might be worth getting a couple of those. You could always plonk the old body on top of the new chassis when it becomes available. As a rule I would avoid the earlier Mainline versions of Bachmann locos unless I was on a very limited budget. I've seen them go for as little as £10 in less popular liveries.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

[ re Bachmann

Never mind the VEP, how about that rumoured MLV or EPB...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I keep meaning to email Replica Railways about their alleged MLV, as I haven't heard much about it recently. As they spent a lot of their lives working with 4 CEP's it would go nicely with Bachmann's model.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Lets just be thankful that at least one manufacturer has finally realised that there's a market for rtr southern EMUs. Perhaps some others will get the message. My ancient Triang Hornby 2BIL is getting as decrepit as the real ones were.

Im a dyed in the wool steam fan, but a Southern layout without at least one 'green snake' doesn't look quite right to me,

Reply to
jasper_goat

Not necessarily. A powerful pressure group has persuaded Bachmann there is a market for such a model. Whether there really is or not we will only find out when it finally goes on sale.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Whats a big boilered Jubilee ? Not buying any more of either Mainline or current Bachmann, got a good enough selection already. This announcement is all the incentive I need to wait - trying to get a Mainline running was another. Simon

Reply to
simon

"kim" wrote

A similar pressure group convinced Hornby that there was a model for the Q1

0-6-0, but this was fairly quickly 'jobbed out' on special offer by the manufacturer, or maybe it's just that the volume necessary for viable production in China is too great for such a geographically restricted prototype.

I wonder whether the same will happen with the M7, Lord Nelson and their third Bulleid Pacific in recent years.

I hope the EMU proves to be successful for Bachmann, but I cannot help having reservations.

John.

Reply to
John Turner