Bachmann Southern EMU models

viable

restricted

I must say that I was surprised by the choice of the Q1, even in their heyday many areas of the SR didn't see them.

I know it was a different time and all that but IIRC the original Tri-ang Hornby M7 was one of their best sellers!

You are allowing your locality to cloud your judgment I suspect, I can remember (not so many years ago) when people were poo-pooing the idea that ex LNER loco's would sell in commercial quantities...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

They produced so little at the time they made the M7 that virtually everything was one of their best sellers. It's a different world today as you so rightly claim.

I probably am, but with some experience of the sales of the Q1 and Bulleid Pacifics.

I don't recall anyone poo-poohing the prospective market for LNER locos, after all 'Flying Scotsman', 'Mallard' and the ill-chosen B12 had been amongst Hornby's best sellers for years! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I suspect it had more to do with being one of the few SR RTR models on the market, I also suspect that it's gimmicks [1] sold a few too.

[1] opening smoke box door and IIRC fire box glow.

They did down in SR land, they did in LMS land, they did in GWR land.... :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I can't recall any great lobby for a Q1, when there were much better and more popular southern loco's still awaiting production, such as the M7 or the King Arthur. Apparently the Q1 sells very well in Scotland.

Reply to
John Ruddy

restricted

better and

As I see it there was two reasons why Hornby chose a Q1, one was pressure (on all RTR manufactures) for more ex Southern steam and secondly the then forth coming anniversary of VE day with all the war time reminiscing it would bring - it would have made far more cense - if Hornby wanted a ex SR 0-6-0 tender loco - to choose the earlier Q class although the Q1 does tie up with their apparent Bulleid theme of late!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

45736 "Phoenix" and 45735 "Comet" were rebuilt in 1942 with more powerful Type 2A boiler and double chimney. Amazingly, both were produced in model form by Mainline despite the obviously limited market.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

In that case, I'm looking forward to the forthcoming issue of the Leader class model :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"kim" wrote

Not quite sure that the Mainline Railways models of 'Comet' & 'Phoenix' were all that accurate. I think to be honest they were based on their rebuilt 'Patriot' model, which in itself was just their Rebuilt 'Royal Scot' fitted with a Stanier cab (presumably off the standard 'Jubilee').

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Never mind the re boilered Jubilees, how about the (one) Stephensons and (the many) Caprotti valved Black fives?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Now you're talking - a Caprotti (low footplate) Black 5 would really take my fancy, at a pinch I'd settle for one of the high footplate variety - bugger it, I'd have one of each!

John.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Stephensons

really take my

variety - bugger

Would it be to much to ask for revolving cardian shafts too?! :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes indeed. Let's concentrate on the valve gear with a magnifying glass whilst ignoring the olympic long jump between loco and tender on the Hornby model :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

They don't call it a fall plate for nothing!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Yes please! In N-gauge, naturally.

Reply to
David Jackson

Thank you, Big boiler = rebuilt. Had forgotten that bit. Simon

Reply to
simon