Back to Back Adjustments

Use a drill press. You will need a piece of brass bar with a 2mm+ hole in it to cover the circa 12mm hole in the drill-presses base table and set the chuck to a sliding fit over the axle. The drill press base and chuck will be 100% square to the axle so a gentle pull on the handle will press the wheels on the axle. Said spacer will ensure the correct spacing! There's no need for the single purpose precision tool and the drill press can go on the "DIY ledger" rather than the "Toy trains ledger". :^)

try to find a tame tool

Reply to
Greg Procter

I've tried it - If you apply enough force on the axle end/wheel back with a straight pull the axle pinpoint deforms. If you twist the wheel on the axle the axle fractures! I use a block of medium hard wood with the pinpoint supported into the side grain andthen press on the wheel back with some success. Generally I just avoid such wheelsets!

Regards, Greg.P.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

That doesn't look like a recipe for success :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

snip

I totally agree.

A properly designed small scale flange has flange contact angle of 70 degrees. The fillet curve is only critical if the flange profile is a hard to make copy of some prototype flanges. See my web page on the subject.

Unless you have built track to NMRA standards, the NMRA gauge is limited for RTR 00. The back to back dimension on these gauges (14.38mm approx) is suitable for many RTR wheels using RTR track such as Peco fine scale. The check gauge however is to large for RTR track.

My more recent tests show the NMRA recommended wheel profile RP25 is more prone to derailments compared to a properly designed wheel profile on typical sharp model railway curves. Theory and experiments I have done prove close to scale flanges are not as reliable as deeper flanges. In other words the above NMRA claims are not repeatable. This is probably due to poor experimental design, and those conducting the experiments being ignorant of engineering theory. My test results are on my web page.

-- Terry Flynn

HO wagon weight and locomotive tractive effort estimates

DC control circuit diagrams

HO scale track standards

Reply to
NSWGR

The NMRA still cant get their standards or RP right. Check out my spread sheet on track standards with a practical proto 87 alternative.

-- Terry Flynn

HO wagon weight and locomotive tractive effort estimates

DC control circuit diagrams

HO scale track standards

Reply to
NSWGR

NSWGR wrote: [...]

If you had derailments, you have bloody awful track.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Have you seen Walthers' latest wheelsets? Metal wheels with plastic axles which are not necessarily straight. These tend to derail when passing through Peco frogs when the axle is slightly bent.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

The best value-for-money American wheelsets I've come across are the ones from Life-Like Proto 2000 - these too are metal wheels mounted on plastic axles, and are generally 100% true. Recommended!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Where can I buy a few (dozen)? Do you sell them?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

I've probably got a spare back kicking around somewhere but I sourced them from Wolf Kirchmeir from Canada who posts on here.

Let me know off-group if you want me to check whether I've any surplus to requirements.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If John can't supply, mail me off group. Drop the 'e' in the reply to addy.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir