BRM Doncaster versus London?

Hi there

I am considering to visit one of the BRM exhibitions in Doncaster or London in 2011.

My main objective is to see some quality layouts (00, EM and H0) as I find UK railway modelling very inspirational. Furthermore I would like to attend some of the demonstrations of layout and scenic techniques. Finally I would like to learn about exhibitors selling tools for trackwork construction (that can be used for H0) and line side structures.

Anyone of you that can tell me which one of the two venues that would best fit my above goals?

All feedback on this is very welcomed!

Thanks John

Reply to
John Westi

Whilst not your 'gauge' [1], have you considered either ExpoEM or Scalefour exhibitions, usually a load of demonstrations (or people willing to discuss how they achieved that look on their layout) and suppliers

[1] the many track construction methods used can be adapted to 3.5mm scale (HO), especially either 'copper clad' or 'ply-wood strip and rivet' sleeper track construction.
Reply to
Jerry

John Westi wrote in news:6b7c1cbd-4318-497f-bc12- snipped-for-privacy@s5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Either would serve so the real question would be which is easier to get to. Also you'd have to consider if you were coming over just for the exhibition or if you fancied a day or two on either side to do anything else. In which case London would be the one to go to ... the town of Doncaster shuts down at 6pm and the ladies aren't to much to look at either (the beer's better though) ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply!

You definately have a point about travel time. Sadly I'm not living in UK anymore so I will have to fly in from Denmark for this. Central London close to Piccadilly Line & Kings Cross would be my preference for staying over as I didn't expect that much of Doncaster "city life" (and your comments kind of proved that ;-) The BRM site states that train services from London to Doncaster is

1:45 so clearly longer travel time than with the tube to Wood Green, but not impossible I guess. This brings me back to my original question of whether to choose Doncaster over London:

From the description on the BRM website London is bigger in terms number of layouts and exhibitors which to me sounds better than Doncaster. However I have noticed that some of the layouts that has been highly praised in BRM (and I have enjoyed watching on BRM DVDs) like The Gresley Beat, 82G and Walmington on Sea is not amongst the layouts in London.

So the key thing for me is really: Are (some of) the layouts in London of same quality and size as above mentioned layouts? Otherwise I will have to consider Doncaster even though it will cost me approx. 4 hours extra traveltime.

Regards

John

Reply to
John Westi

Layout quality is a very subjective property, it depends so much on the eye of the beholder - or at least their particular interests, that I would avoid any pre-concieved ideas in case you are dissapointed. Could also suggest that many layouts appear totally different in the flesh compared to on the ground and worst of all some depend on fashion rather than fact. The camera doesnt lie (at least if photshop use is kept to a minimum) but flattering views for a magazine are chosen. With both these exhibitions having a goodly number of layouts then you are very likely to find a few that catch your eye, they may even be ones that you would not expect to be of interest. So from that point of view whichever you go to doesnt matter, just arrive with an open mind and see how it goes.

If that 4 hours reduces your layout viewing time then stay in london. But if you take the opportunity to visit other places like NRM then go for Doncaster (dont know how close they are, but theyre both up North).

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

At a guess though the quality and variety of layouts to be found at the London and Doncaster shows will be very similar. Of course if there's a particular layout appearing at one show but not the other and that's the one a person wants to see especially then that can be a deciding factor.

Yorkshire ... :-(

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Where a particular type of pudding comes from :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news:V_qdnSrw2voZzofQnZ2dnUVZ7o- snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Yup two legged ones that do unpleasent things to sheep ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson