Capacitor Units for DC operation.

Recently I acquired some 6000 micro Farad 50v capacitors with a view to improving the starting performance of my locos. having fitted one of them at a distance from one controller output discovered that once the charge had reached the full ripple peak the controller shut down on overload, this irrespective of load. The recovery times were too long to be tolerable and the capacitors held the open-circuit voltage for a considerable time.

Subsequently I decided to run two capacitors in series ( giving 3000 micro F's effective). Lo! It has run beautifully - the longest continuous at 90% full voltage being 1 hour with good starting and stopping exponential curves. I can thoroughly recommend the circuit modification.

Reply to
peter abraham

Try a series 1 ohm resistor, with the 6000UF capacitor on its own, as a current limit- should stop the controller tripping out on overload.

Reply to
Kirk

Yes, I would love to but I have no access to components except RS (Fr) who have min order values or eBay. I should have said that the optimum I found relied on residual circuit resistance hence fitting them at a distance.

Reply to
peter abraham

I am slightly at a loss as to what you are trying to achieve by adding the capacitors.

On start-up the controller will have to charge the capacitors, which just means that it will take longer for the motor to see enough voltage to start. For steady state running all the capacitors will do is reduce any ripple that is on the supply. On slowing or stopping all they will do is provide a small delay as the voltage is reduced. Also at startup the capacitors will take a graet gulp of current, which is why the controller is tripping out, and on stopping the capacitors will hold the voltage above the controller voltage which could damage some controllers' outputs, particularly if there is no motor to discharge them at the time.

You may be better off adding extra capacitance inside the controller so that there is extra reservoir capacitance before the electronic control. This will help ensure that there is enough capacity when large current spikes are drawn, without the above problems.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What problem are you trying to solve? Whatever it is, this is most probably the wrong way to do it.

If you want that kind of behaviour you should buy a proper "inertia" controller.

I wouldn't ;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That is a large amount of energy to be stored what about a problem on the line a small short could start a fire!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett