CCTs

Do the new hornby ccts sit at the correct height? Thanks.

Reply to
funky2k

"funky2k" wrote

They're exactly the same as the old Lima model except that Hornby have changed the wheelsets for some larger ones of their own.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote: .

So if the Lima one rode at the correct height then the Hornby one won't; and vice - versa?

Reply to
airsmoothed

wrote

I think that sums it up nicely, but I've not had time to compare it with a model with the correct buffer height. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the old Lima model ride a tad too high in the first place?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't

Now I'm back home i've just done a quick and dirty check of a Lima CCT versus a recent Bachmann 12t van, and the CCT is roughly 15 thou higher , that ties in with a 'tad' pretty well. So it will certainly be on tippy toes with bigger Hornby wheels.

Luckily I've got some of those MJT? W irons for th CCT somehwere....:-/

Reply to
airsmoothed

If anyone is interested, I can let them have a photo showing how much better the Lima CCT looks when fitted with ABS axleguards / springs / axleboxes and 14mm. dia wheels.

Regards, John Isherwood.

Reply to
cctransuk

Whoops!!

The afore-mentioned photo is still available, but it does NOT show a Lima CCT fitted with ABS axleguards / springs / axleboxes!

Memory is a dangerous thing! I looked again at the actual model, on which I was CONVINCED that I had replaced the running gear with ABS castings and 14mm. wheels. Seems that I was wrong - I'd fitted brass pinpoint bearings, 14mm. wheels, and ABS brakeshoes in line with the wheels, but the rest of the Lima chassis is as provided by Lima. The model looks excellent and, buffered up to my Bachmann "Evening Star", the buffer centreline is at most 0.5mm. higher.

Looking at Hornby's re-released CCT photos in the MREmag review section, I'm not convinced that they've fitted 14mm. wheels - can anyone who has got one to hand confirm or deny this?

So, even if the Hornby re-issue has still got undersized wheels, a VERY passable model could be produced by fitting 14mm. wheels and brakeshoes in line with the wheels. If you need convincing, e-mail me off-list and I'll send you the photo of my Lima model with 14mm. wheels.

.... so where HAD I used ABS running gear castings? On my cut-and-shut conversion of a Lima CCT to the unique shorter prototype. Just shows - never trust to memory!!

Regards, John Isherwood.

Reply to
cctransuk