Controllers

There are a number of manufacturers that support LocoNet apart from Digitrax, Fleischmann for one.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

When it comes to the networks, the two main ones; XpressNet (Lenz) and LocoNet (Digitrax), my observations of interworking are:

XpressNet - Lenz, Roco, ZTC(?). Not many aftermarket boards.

LocoNet - Digitrax, Fleischmann, Uhlenbrock. Several aftermarket small makers, eg. CML electronics "control tower" for producing a layout mimic diagram. Fremo Fred DIY throttle.

There are probably loads more to add to the lists.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Another little link on Jump Throttles:

Which has the simplest possible voltage divider for a jump-throttle.

10k-ohm resistor ought to last at least a couple of hundred hours on one PP3 unless its put in a drawer and left on by mistake. (Or my sums are wrong!)

I'm sure someone with knowledge of short distance radio or IR circuits could make it wireless without much difficulty or complexity.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

No perfectly correct, a 10k load will pull about 1mA or slightly less as the battery voltage droops. A PP3's capacity varies a lot with brand but should be at least 250mAH, and over 1000mAH for a lithium type, so anywhere from

250 to 1000 hours!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ta, glad my mental maths are correct...

I've now got interested in whether one could make an ultra low cost wireless version :-)

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Only if you can get ultra-lowcost bits and pieces. DIY electronics is becoming a niche hobby, not the viable alternative to purchase that it used to be.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I know. Its been a continual drift for most of my adult life; as a teenager, some of my friends built their own stereo amps, cassette electronics, etc. By the time I was in my 20's, it was scarcely economic to do such; I looked and thought about it, then went to the local hifi dealer (though now I'm mid 40's, I have one friend who still builds audiophile grade kit, his latest power supply project must have cost several hundred pounds).

I appreciate that the solution today will be to either buy commercially or canibalise kit sold for other uses (eg. cheap R/C gear).

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Nigel Cliffe said the following on 08/12/2007 14:12:

At 41 3/4, it looks like we've had almost parallel lives! I started in electronics when I was 11. I rarely even make my own leads now because they're cheaper to buy complete, never mind anything like amps! I also built my own amp, cassette deck electronics etc in my time. I even built a ZX81 from a kit when I was at school!

Reply to
Paul Boyd