plastic injection moulding - 'Model Railway News' article (Ancient!)

Dear list -
Back in the 1970's (probably in 1974-1976) the late-lamented 'Model
Railway News' carried a series of articles by a gentleman named
'Smokey' Bourne on 'DIY' plastic injection moulding (he susbsequently
demonstrated the technique at an early ExpoEM, and I can understand
where he got the nickname!).
If anyone has access to these articles and would be prepared to
photocopy them for me I would be most grateful - and of course cover
any costs arising.
Regards
Ian
Reply to
Ian
Do you possibly mean Colin Binnie. He did a series of workshop articles in the Model Railways in the seventies and he covered plastic injection moulding. IIRC, he used an ex auto hydraulic cylinder with piston mounted on the end of a modified soldering iron to heat and inject the plastic.
Jim
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
I thought it was earlier than that? I stopped buying MRN in 1970 but remember the articles. They were mainly concerned with simple parts such as wagon wheels although the multi-part mould was very sophisticated. Unfortunately I was forced to dump my entire magazine collection during a house move in 1981 so don't have it anymore :o(
(kim)
Reply to
kim
I've got the magazine stashed somewhere - "Colin Binnie " sounds familiar! It would have been late 1960s. If I remember rightly there were several parts and I've got the one with the cylinder/soldering iron assembly. Unfortunately all my mags etc are stacked in a lockup and won't come out until after the new house is built - end March 2008.
If you don't obtain it give me an email April-May.
Greg.P.
Reply to
Greg Procter
Totally off-topic but the thing I miss most about MRN is those wonderful artists impressions of what a layout *could* look like. Have yet to see their equal in any model railway publication since.
(kim)
Reply to
kim
As an artist I can tell you that there's a lot of work in that sort of drawing, and the artist needs to know his subject intimately. It's much simpler to point a camera at somebody's new Hornby trainset and then play with the image in Photoshop.
(As an artist I can tell you that I prefer to draw nudes, and the artist needs to know his subject intimately) =8^P
Reply to
Greg Procter
Kim,
We are both correct :-) With the re-launch of MRN in 1971 as model Railways with Roy Dock as editor, Colin Binnie started a series called "Production Methods for Modellers". In the August 1972, he covers plastic injection mouldning and refers back to his earlier series of articles in the MRN in June - August 1968. I've got them all.
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Ian,
I can scan them as PDF files and upload them to my web site for you to download.
Colin Binnie - MRN Jun - Aug, 1968 Colin Binnie - MR Aug. 1972
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
If your interested in injection moulding, this link might be of interest, you also get bench top hand injectors on ebay from time to time.

estarriol
Jim Guthrie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
I've been lurking around this thread with my intrest piqued hoping someone would offer to do just that. It'd be nice if you could. Cheers.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
Chris,
OK, I'll risk it. I've emailed the URL direct to Ian, but I'll stick it up here and see what the download limit is on my personal web space. :-) The files are PDFs and are a bit big - between 1 and 2 meg each, and there are nine of them.
.....no complaints if the server gives up :-)
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Jim Guthrie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
Absolutely not, but I do have more webspace (and bandwidth to go with it) than this group could use in a month of Sundays if needed.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
Chris,
If there is a run on these files for any reason, and my web site shuts down, then feel free to put the files on your site. I've never asked what the daily download limit on a Zen web space is - it could be reasonably large.
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Cheers Jim, will give interesting bedtime reading.
And your server is just warming up nicely, the files came over very quickly.
- Nigel
Reply to
Nigel Cliffe
Hi Jim,
thanks for putting those articles on the internet! I was rather young when the first one came out and had no idea I'd ever want to do such things, in fact I'm not even sure anyone stocked MRN where I lived.
I've been searching for part two for a long time.
It's interesting to note that the soldering iron went up in size from 60 watts to 120 watts between 1968-1972.
These pages took 9-10 minutes each to download and we're in the middle of a thunderstorm so I lost connection 4 times!
Can you upload the July 1972 article please- pretty please????
Greg.P. NZ
Reply to
Greg Procter
Greg,
They are on the same URL as 'binnie-10' to 'binnie-13'. The last two pages are part pages, so a fair bit smaller in file size than the first two.
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
What a brilliant response (especially as I'd mis-identified the author)! I really did put up the post on a wing and and a prayer - and Im glad that others have taken advantage of Jim's kind actions.
I'd also forgotten about the 'MRJ' article - I'll dig that out tommorrow from the workshop!
Proves what I've thought all along - this is one of the best usenet groups around!
Kindest regards Ian
Reply to
Ian
Hi Jim,
I don't know how I missed that - it must have been the lightning strike!!!
Many thanks for your generosity, Greg.P.
Reply to
Greg Procter
Tools using in making models This is Alexander zhang from Shenzhen shenchuang industrial company, a specialized tools manufacturer. Our product 6 in 1 is specially designed for making models.they are really novel products. It can make of mini jigsaw, metal lathe, wood lathe, grinder, miller, driller. You can make whatever models by using our products. Union 6 in 1
Contact: : snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Reply to
thegoodtool

Site Timeline