DCC questions from a dedicated DC'er

Are you building it yourself or buying a commercial one?
I have just purchased the Lux -Modellbau one and the associated car with the powered cleaning roller. Both work quite well.
The only UK supplier I found no longer had it stocked so I just trawled the net. Found a French Model shop who stocked them.
As my French is limited there was some trepidation that the postman would struggle up the path with a Miele vacuum cleaner in TGV livery with flanged wheels but it actually worked out OK.
Other half took a dim view though of my offer to vacuum the carpet when she found that I had covered it with umpteen sections of old track laid in a spiral form first.
Lux-Modellbau have a site at
The French shop who put up with my Google translated French was

G.Harman
Reply to
oldship
It would be better if you could post hard facts, with a reference to the announcement, rather than just propogating what is, so far, an unsubstantiated rumour.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
That's why I remain sceptical until I see an announcement from Hornby or the NMRA.
Most of the bad "rumouring" was based on hard facts but applied to the decoders (which I now understand have been fixed in recent product) and the Select. There has been very few bad rumours about the Elite.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
snipped-for-privacy@interalpha.couk wrote in news:2o85k3lbinvqdd8c4p3scat19ii4a762mh@ 4ax.com:
Making my own, 3 carriages, (1) Track rubber and brush, very heavily ballasted, (2) Power car, on board re-chargable batteries to ensure a constant voltage to car 3, (3) The vacuum cleaner, at the moment I'm having difficulty in making a perfectly balanced fan blade but when finished will draw air through a ducted fan with a filter in place just before the fan - was going to put it after the fan however I'm concerned about bits of stay ballast hitting the motor or fan blades and causing damage. It's one of my reasons for finally going to DCC, I need to be able to switch this assemblidge on and off as it's towed around.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
I wonder what happened to that. That breaking news was posted by Gary, the forum Hornby spokesman. He knows what Hornby are doing before they themselves do.
Reply to
Dobbin
Alan P Dawes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk:
Good grief no, she can't even do my shirts without putting tamlines into the sleeves, and as for getting her to iron the inside of collars and cuffs it like banging my head against a brick wall. I mean, it's not as though I don't stand behind her and show her where she's going wrong, giving her little tips and tricks but all I get is the cold shoulder. 17 years married and she still can't get it right ... just think of the damage she could do with a soldering iron, the horror!
Reply to
Chris Wilson
Jane Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:
Ah well, there inlies the problem, I'm actually very good at ironing and pressing clothes. However if I was to do myself SWMBO would curl up in shame when she compared her efforts to mine and I couldn't allow that to happen could I?
Reply to
Chris Wilson
In message , Chris Wilson writes
Don't be silly. She'll be only too pleased that you're better at it than she is, and she'll invite you to do hers as well.
This seems to be the best way for you to stay in SWMBO's good books for ever.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan
Jim Guthrie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
Since replying to Jane, Mrs W has noted my previous post and would like to make it known that she makes up for whatever little faults she might have by (a) letting me turn the garage in to a room to (and I quote) "Play with my little trains" and (b) by having a good back hander to be used on a rather presuming husband.
I'm now off to make her a cup of coffee that I shall take up to her bath, which I shall run for her, including scented oils and tonight just to be on the safe side I shall also be lighting some scented candles as well.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
A while ago I had to go to a formal dinner, and my dress shirts hadn't been worn since college, so I went into the local electrical shop.
Erm, hello, I'd like an iron, please Certainly, what sort of iron? Um, there are different sorts of iron? Aha, we have just the thing for you. This one has _LEDs_. Wow, LEDs. That's the one, then!
More awkwardly, my shirts had all shrunk since I was a student. As had my suit.
Reply to
Arthur Figgis
There's a little (Chinese) battery powered vacuum cleaner sold for cleaning computer keyboards and the like. It sells here in NZ for about $15- (UKP5-) I'm sure I've seen it offered in UK magazines. (I read model railway, model engineering, electronic and computer mags). It comes with several attachment brushes and heads.
(finally getting to the punch lines :-) It contains a 3 volt motor and nicely balanced fan, not to mention all the other bits required to make a track vacuum cleaner mechanisim. I made a nozzle by cutting two rectangles of 1mm (.040") plasticard and spacing them with two strips of 1mm plasticard so that I ended up with a full width 34mm nozzle 1mm long. Step the motor voltage up to 4.5 volts (well 5 volt voltage regulator with a diode in series with the output) It sucks up all sorts! Now I need to figure out how to make a bigger dust bag!
I did try turning it into a blower, which cleaned the track but dirtied everything else. :-(
Regards, Greg.P.
Reply to
Greg Procter
You've got it totally wrong. there are a number of tasks in which I'm quite happy to demonstrate a complete lack of ability. Ironing, washing, making beds ..... I often offer to help but then 'She' has to do it right and I'm not instructed again. However, knew it was a mistake when successfully changed a nappy.
Also - dont think its a good idea to allow her access to your computer. All those stories used to justify certain purchases - you could be found out !
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
But there werent any. Anyway the link that was posted allowed anyone to check for themselves the source of info and so decide how likely it was true or not. I followed it and saw the author as Gary who seems to be quite knowledgable on such topics. So thank you Dobbin.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
That may be why I didnt say there were more than a few bad rumours about the Elite. Most of the bad rumours were on the Select and rarely based on facts. It was mostly complaints that the Select and budget decoder didnt do what Hornby didnt claim it did and that Hornby were not very good with DCC, so by extension the Elite would not be brilliant either.
They were wrong then and have not corrected theyre statements nor apologised since.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon

Site Timeline