End of line for model railway ? YORK

When British Leyland was formed, it was the 7th largest comapany in the world. As ever, being British, we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and threw it all away, mostly due to political meddling in business affairs (from all sides - Government, managment and unions). There were factories all over the world. Land Rover still has plants in about a dozen countires, mostly assembling CKD kits with local content.

Everyone assumes that they were re-badged Hondas (the re-badging bit is ture for some models - mostly minor interior changes, different engine choices and slight body panel changes were the only diferences). In the case of the Triumph Acclain/Honda Accord, the vehicles were prety much identical bar the badges - all made on the same line at Swindon. In reality, Honda and BL/Rover collaborated on designs - when Honda were grievously dumped (the only ever had a 20% stake in Rover) by the goverment during the sale to British Aerospace (politics again) their chairman stated that Honda had learned more from Rover than vice-versa. The Discovery was just about to go on sale in Japan as the Honda Crossroads, which would have been a real feather in Rover's cap.

Strictly speaking Land Rover Ltd was a seperate company almost to Rovers' end, having their own design facility at Gaydon (used by Rover a lot too, of course!). It had been recognised by Tony Benn when Trade & Industry minister back in the dark daysthat Land Rover was a "special case" and for a time even recieved ring-fenced funding for new models.

LR's sale to Tata of India, as well as being hugely ironic (The Empire Strikes Back?), will be interesting.....

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Rover never moved to Solihull - Solihull was/is only ever Land Rover. Though Rover had access to the Gaydon G-DEC (theoretically part of Land Rover), their "home" remained at Longbridge until the bitter end.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Rover never moved to Solihull - Solihull was/is only ever Land Rover. Though Rover had access to the Gaydon G-DEC (theoretically part of Land Rover), their "home" remained at Longbridge until the bitter end."

Er, that's what I said!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You are talking about the so-called "Rover Group". I am talking about the Rover Car Company which began in Coventry and started making Rover *cars* in Solihull in 1946 following the refusal of the governemnt to grant a development certificate for expansion of car production in Coventry. The "Rover Group" was just a renamed British Leyland and had practically nothing to do with the original Rover Car Company.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I don't think that you are correct Richard, Rover bought the Solihul site from the government, it was a "shadow" aircaft enfine factory during the war. The newly converted Solihull premises were officially opened by the President of the Board of Trade in February 1946 and production of the 1940 model cars re-started there(P2 and P3 models). Numbers were serverly limited by Government restrictions on steel . As you said it was these steel restrictions that brought about the LandRover.

Reagrds Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

... but Rover still never operated from Solihull! Land Rover was devleoped by Wilkes brothers, notably Maurice, directors of the Rover Car Company, after WWII to allow production of something within the restrictions of an abundance of aluminium but a dearth of steel. Launched at the Amsterdam Motor Show in 1948, they only ever envisaged making about 1,200, as by then they expected steel to become available to allow resumption of production of pre-war cars. For whatever reason (I've no idea what Solihull was used for before, if anything), these were produced at Solihull. By the time most Britsh car makers were absorbed in to the nationalised Britsh Leyland Land Rover was a sepetate company (technically), thought in practical terms LR was a division of Rover, which became a divsion of Leyland, as did BMC, Austin etc etc. Under Leyland, Land Rover only really started to become a trully sperate entity when there was a attampt to sell LR to, ironically, Ford in the mid 70's - at which point Land Rover spares started to aquire an 'L' on the end to differentiate them from Rover parts, a process never completed. Even when I worked for Rover in 1996 for a spell at the University of Warwick Advanced Technology Center, the two were completely intertwined, except for production facilities and seperate payrolls (ish, many engineers jackets had both companies logo's on).

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

ok - I guess that answers the "what was it used for before" question - I'll make a note as I've yet too see it in the Land Rover folklore!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd