Falcon Brass kit

I have an old Falcon Brass kit of the Jones 2-4-0T/4-4-0T of the HR and have just started putting it together in the 4-4-0T version.
The instructions leave MUCH to be desired, so does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed? Especially on the bogie, which in the OO configuration has not a snowball's chance in Hell of dropping low enough to be at the same rail height as the drivers.
Or is it just a scrapper?
Mike in BC
michael gray wrote:

No! Falcon Brass (ex-Jidenco) does have a bad reputation, but in my limited experience of their stuff the product isn't actually that bad. If you take the view that you're using the components to build a model of a loco or whatever, rather than just assembling a kit, you may find you get on better. It's a subtle attitude shift. So basically, don't expect the bogie to come out at the same rail height, but build the bogie then work out for yourself how to ensure that the bogie is carrying sufficient weight to stay on the track.
Just don't give up on it - learn from it!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:21:51 +0100, Paul Boyd wrote:

re: the bogie. I put that rather badly, it sounds like the direct opposite of what I meant! When the bogie is mounted then the front drivers can't reach the rails. The bogie wheels interfere with the cross slide "rails". I suppose too, that if I had a decent photo of the loco it would help. Mike

Was told recently that Jidenco kits were designed for EM, must admit that was a suprise. If it was me then this would be the point that I realised got wrong size bogie wheels. Cheers, Simon

Hmm. You need to be aware that the old Jidenco (now Falcon) kits were not much more than a set of cut out parts for scratchbuilding. If you treat it like that you will get a result eventually. I am banned by my wife from building these kits on account of the language I use. If there are any instructions you might do better to ignore them. You will need to be ready to completely re-make some parts - your bogie sounds like a candidate. This is a tricky prototype to model with the bogie tucked away behind that Allan front end. As the Irishman said when asked the way to Tipperary "Sure, I wouldn't start from here, sorr". Mind you, the old M&L Yankee Tank kit isn't much better. I have built one of those and it took longer than the Princess Coronation that was going through the shops at the same time.
There are good drawings and photos of these 4-4-0Ts in Peter Tatlow's update of the MCV Allchin 'History of Highland Locos' ISBN 86093 048 3 published by OPC in 1979 (Gosh, is it that long ago! I remember discussing this book with Peter when he was thinking about writing it). Good buildable Highland brass kits are now available from 'Lochgorm Kits' (he has a website -qv) for the later tender 4-4-0s. I know - I designed them. The DJH whitemetal series (Loch, Big Goods, River, and Castle) are not accurate, and poorly designed - not recommended.
Alistair Wright '5522' Models