PING Froggy at the pond

Pls. E mail me -- I have a quesion about the Liquitex airbrush medium .

Thanks.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged. If you really need to reply directly, try: jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom address.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Hi jim. What do you want to know about Liquitex brand airbrush medium? Great stuff. I highly recommend it for airbrushing all acrylic type paints.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Sure, can do it on the group, too. I am confused (but it doesn't take much) by the Liquitex dilution proportions you postred to me about two weeks ago.

I picked up (bought) the Liquitex airbrush medium at a Michaels' store last weekend. I had a 50% off coup "Get a two-ounce bottle with a tight-fitting lid (like the ones Paasche make) and pour the paint from one bottle into it after having thoroughly mixed it in its original container. Then pour the empty paint bottle about 1/2 - 3/4 full of the airbrush medium. Shake it vigorously until the rest of the paint is mixed and add that to the new bottle of paint. Mix well and load the paint-cup of your airbrush with the "new" paint. once you have adjusted the nozzle and air pressure to give the desired paint discharge configuration you are ready to paint the models."

My Badger bottles are 2 oz. The scalecoat bottes of Polly Scale Tuscan I have are one oz.

I am reading your instructions as:

  1. Pour contents of well shaken and mixed one oz. Polyscale paint jar into empty two oz. aibrush jar.
  2. Add 1/2 to 3/4 ounce Liquitex into newly emptied Polyscale jar and again mix vigourously with paint scraps in Polyscale jar.
  3. Pour Liquitex/ paint scraps mix from Polyscale jar into airbrush jar.
  4. Mix again, vigorously.
  5. Use paint / Liquitex mixture from 2 oz. airbrush jatr in paint cup or whatever of airbrush.

Am I reading your instructions correctly?

TIA.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Well, sort of, yes, but I am too verbose here and need to learn when to shut up. I'll try to make it more understandable, and say what I really mean.

Use about 3:1 airbrush medium to start. In other words, if you use 3oz of paint then add an additional 1oz of airbrush medium. It's hard to say just exactly how much to use, since it depends on what brand of paint you use, what kind of airbrush you have, what the humidity is, the ambient temperature, and your painting style. In all, too many variables to lay down a hard number. Sometimes I find that I get better results with a 50-50 mixture, and in some cases, such as some of the ceramcoat paints I have used more medium than paint. If you live in a very dry, hot area, such as Phoenix or Palm Springs, you will likely do well with more medium. If you live in a hot, humid place, somewhat less will work better.

I usually use the medium to rinse out the original paint bottle and thus extract

100% of the paint from it before I pour the medium into the new bottle with the paint.

I hope this answers your questions and I apologize for making a simple task sound complex.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Thanks for the clarification.

This being Oregon, our humidity quotint gets a tad high in February.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin