Check out this ad in MR

Look at the Bowser ad on page 39 in the November issue of MR. The price for the GM AeroTrain is quoted as $83.95 for the GM demonstrator road name, and $93.95 for PRR, NYC, Rock Island and UP. Since the only difference in the paint job is the lettering for the various roadnames I doubt if that is the reason for the $10 difference in price. You draw your own conclusions; I know what I think, but I don't want to be accused of libel.

Walt

Reply to
OLDFARHT

Gee, UP painted / decaled product, (and others) higher. Well it could be that there is more demand in the modeling community for the UP, PRR, NYC and the Rock liveried stuff.

It could also be that cows fly.

But it sure looks, in my opinion, to be a result of both (a) the UP licensing fee program, and (b) profiteering by Bowser.

Truth, by the way, is an absolute defense to libel or slander charges.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

And, apparently, CSX and Norfolk Southern trademark licensing programs I would hypothesize. UP doesn't own the trademarks to Pennsy and NYC. Not sure who Rock Island rights would belong to. BNSF?

Reply to
Rick Jones

Another RIP OFF. Get in line and bend over.............

Reply to
MrRathburne

The Rock Island trademarks are owned, if you can believe this, by Maytag (as in the washer and dryer people).

Brian Ehni (RITS member)

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

UP, of course - they took SP, which had taken the Rock. I think. Might have the order wrong....

Reply to
Gary M. Collins

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Not sure but I'm thinking I recently heard that the Rock Island rights are owned by Maytag! Anyone?

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" Illinois, *USA *

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

The price difference has been there since Bowser re-introduced the Aerotrain, 10+ years ago.

The paint scheme on all 5 varieties is the same, EXCEPT the GM Demo has no logo. All the others have a logo for the various railroads. The extra cost is for the additional printing.

Each color is an extra "strike" for printing. Each strike costs money, particularly in labor. Many manufacturers average out the cost of more complicated printing jobs across all models. In this case, Bowser has chosen to charge extra for the models that have extra printing.

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with UP's, or anyone else's, license fees.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

Rock Island was long gone and no one took it. It was broken into hundreds of pieces. The SP got a line from Tucumcari NM, to KC.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Here's the truth: The PRR and NYC models are $93.95 retail -- the same as the UPRR model.

Unless the UPRR has acquired those lines also (or perhaps Bowser is just anticipating the eventuality that the UPRR will one day control all of North America's railroads) I don't see how you can draw conclusion (a). Jim, can you explain how the PRR and NYC models at the same price as the UPRR model support (a)?

Now here's a little shocker for you subscribers to the UPRR conspiracy theory: Have you noticed that the lettering on PRR, NYC, RI and UPRR models more complex than the GM demonstrator model?

Of course it's easier to just overlook that fact, since it doesn't fit in neatly with your conspiracy theory. If Bowser wanted to profiteer on the situation wouldn't they sell all of the models at the single higher price?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Since your juvenile question has no logical relationship to the actual content of my question, and to appear "cute" you added terms and conditions that were never a part of my original statement, I decline to engage in your puerile games.

-- Jim McLaughlin

**************************************************************************** **************************************************************************** I am getting really tired of spam, so the reply address is munged. Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply. **************************************************************************** **************************************************************************** Special treat for spambots: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov, snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov, snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Explain how the PRR and NYC models at the same price as the UPRR model support your assertion that this is a result of the UP licensing fee program.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Don't let the UPRR conspiracy theory people see that!

Reply to
Mark Mathu

yea, why let the truth get in the way of a good arguement ;^)

Reply to
me

Jeez, Pete. There you go again, introducing facts into a rmr thread...

(Good to see you here again.)

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

I've seen it from a enough separate sources that I'm convinced it's true.

The Rock Island emerged from bankruptcy in the 1980s as the Chicago Pacific Corp. after selling off all of it's railroad assets. The company owned some furniture companies and acquired Hoover, the vacuum company, in 1985. Maytag bought Chicago Pacific Corp. in 1989 for its small appliance holdings, especially Hoover.

"Oh, the Maytag line washes a mighty fine load, Maytag line is the one to buy,

Maytag line washes a mighty fine load, If you're gonna wash it, got to wash it as you find it, Get your appliance at the store in the Maytag line!"

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Really? You stated : "But it sure looks, in my opinion, to be a result of both (a) the UP licensing fee program, and (b) profiteering by Bowser."

You quoted prices and he replied with counter pricing data. You don't like his answer so you call it a "juvenile question"? Seems your being more than a bit defensive of your opinion and likely we can say you made the juvenile response or as I saw it a complete like of a rebuttal in any fashion. Some folks just look for topics such as this to take more an emotional stand than a practical one. Bottom line is if you think you are being somehow ripped off or otherwise put upon by the UP then do not buy a single product. Heck do you even model any roads that are even affected?

Dave

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

Reply to
MrRathburne

Thankfully, not dynamite sales. ;-)

In real life, I'm a systems programmer. In my spare time (ha ha), I run a business that's related to this forum.

I've chosen not to use this forum to promote my business, so that's all I'll say. As always, anyone who wants to know more is welcome to contact me privately.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

engage in

A lack of any reply says volumes about Jim's hare-brained UPRR conspiracy theory on why the models have different price points.

Having Bowser's PRR and NYC models selling at the same price as the UPRR model seems to refute the notion that this difference is a part of the UP licensing arrangement. UPPP doesn't own the PRR and NYC trademarks.

Reply to
Mark Mathu