Irresponsible Ad

Did anyone see the new Nissan Altima ad?

It has the car running a grade crossing as the gates come down and beating the train.

Is this irresponsible or what?

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Ummm... isn't that the one where the gates come down across the _track_, not the road?

In this case, "... or what", it seems.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Most car ads are very much irresponsible (to put it mildly but anything for a sale, eh) and show absolutely horrible driving "habits," including reckless driving with abandon, speeding, and hand-brake turns in crowded urban enviroments. It's very obvious that the motivational research boys have tapped in to the "id" portion of the human psyche and that they absolutely don't care how many must die or be maimed in order for them to sell a car.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

On 25 Jun 2005 22:18:52 -0700, "Eric" claims:

Yes, saw it and had the same reaction. Bet on it that someone will make sure that ad is pulled.

Cordially, Ken (NY)

email:

spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov

Reply to
Ken [NY]

Only if you live in a country that sues each other at the drop of a hat R

Reply to
Rob Kemp

No Big Thing... most advertising stretches credulity anyway. Few restaurant chain owners really have a head the size of a white basketball.

Carter (TV Commercial Producer)

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Irresponsible only if it showed the car running around the gates.

The ad, in fact, clearly shows the gates as holding the train back, giving the car right of way.

Having said that, and given the stupidity of the average American driver.....

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

"Brian Paul Ehni"

The "American" is superfluous.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

the superfluous is American

:)))))

Reply to
mindesign

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:43:44 GMT, "Carter Braxton" claims:

Remember that ads have been pulled that show bicyclists not wearing helmets, even though they are mostly useless.

Cordially, Ken (NY)

email:

spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov

Reply to
Ken [NY]

Oh really? I can assure you that many of my fellow triathletes, as well as me, have been spared serious head injuries because they were wearing a helmet. Most of us won't ride around the corner without one on.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

I have seen that ad several times and had never noticed that the crossing gates come down across the track rather than the road.

The first time I saw it, my reaction was "they just encouraged young driver to race the train to the crossing!"

The second time I saw it, I thought, "where did they get that antique loco?" I haven't seen one like that outside of a museum in more years than I can remember.

Reply to
Norman Morgan

"[> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:43:44 GMT, "Carter Braxton" "[> claims: "[> "[> >No Big Thing... most advertising stretches credulity anyway. "[> "[> Remember that ads have been pulled that show bicyclists not "[> wearing helmets, even though they are mostly useless.

The only *good* Ad that was pulled was (IMHO) also one by Nissan -- way back in the 80's I think they had an 'Enjoy The Ride' campaign. One particular ad featured a GI Joe who repels off of Godzilla, gets into a red sports car, drives down the hall (from the boy's room to the girl's room), where Barbie and Ken are standing (in their tennis outfits) on their house. Barbie takes one look at the hot red sports car (and presumably the 'buff' GI Joe), goes inside, changes to a pair of cutoff jean shorts, grabs a duffel bag, hops in the passenger seat and GI Joe drives off, leaving a 'distraught' Ken behind. GI Joe drives under the grinning Japanese guy standing in the hallway (feet spread). Cut to the Nissan logo and the slogan "Enjoy The Ride". It seems Mattel was not happy with Barbie's apparent infeldity... Esp. with GI Joe (also a Mattel product).

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Open your eyes -- the gates come down and block the tracks, not the road!

Reply to
Drew

Although I haven't seen the ad, I'm guessing it had the usual "Do not attempt. Professional drivers on closed course" disclaimer (needed these days for those who don't have any common sense).

Chris Curren

Reply to
Chris Curren

L. S./M. F. T.

Filter, Flavor, Flip top Box

9 out of 10 doctors recommend Chesterfield

Physohex, because it's so pure.

I'm not a doctor, but.....

more rececently....nearly any commercial for any action movie.

Paxil

Reply to
DaveW

Duh Drew. I don't think the gate would stop the locomotive.

It's idiotic ads like this that suggest to people that they can somehow cheat the laws of physics.

Eric

Drew wrote:

"Open your eyes -- the gates come down and block the tracks, not the road!"

Reply to
Eric

"Although I haven't seen the ad, I'm guessing it had the usual "Do not attempt. Professional drivers on closed course" disclaimer (needed these days for those who don't have any common sense)."

Well, yes. But that doesn't take into account the 'Hey! Y'all watch this!' crowd. Most of them can't read.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Duh" yourself... it won't stop a car, either. Hell, even a motorcyclist can break a crossing gate.

We should thank those that run a crossing gate for removing themselves from the gene pool. The ones _I_ feel sorry for are the train crews who have to live with the images of those who "suicide by locomotive".

Reply to
Joe Ellis

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:53:28 -0400, Mike Tennent claims:

This thead was about a TV ad at rec.models.railroad:

Irresponsible Ad

Did anyone see the new Nissan Altima ad?

It has the car running a grade crossing as the gates come down and beating the train.

Is this irresponsible or what?

Eric

I remember your name from the nineties, but can't place it. I too have competed - but in duathlons - until about 1999, and can tesitfy that thanks to my helmets, I escaped facial scratches from trees and bushes along trail rides. But even though I do wear one whenever I ride, I now seriously doubt that foam helmets can save someone from the force of a 3,000 motor vehicle striking their head. I did have a friend back in about 1995, who showed me his split helmet which had saved him from serious injury when he flew over his handlebar and struck his head on a curb, resulting in a headache and road rash. But those cases are really far and few between. I will cross-post this to rec.bicyles.soc for further comments from bicyclists who have studied this subject a lot more than I have.