Irresponsible Ad

Did anyone see the new Nissan Altima ad?
It has the car running a grade crossing as the gates come down and
beating the train.
Is this irresponsible or what?
Eric
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ummm... isn't that the one where the gates come down across the _track_, not the road?
In this case, "... or what", it seems.
--
Joe Ellis € CEO Bethlehem-Ares Railroad - A 1:160 Corp.
___a________n_mmm___mmm_mmm_mmm___mmm_mmm_mmm___mmm_n______

Most car ads are very much irresponsible (to put it mildly but anything for a sale, eh) and show absolutely horrible driving "habits," including reckless driving with abandon, speeding, and hand-brake turns in crowded urban enviroments. It's very obvious that the motivational research boys have tapped in to the "id" portion of the human psyche and that they absolutely don't care how many must die or be maimed in order for them to sell a car.
Texas Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–
claims:

    Yes, saw it and had the same reaction. Bet on it that someone will make sure that ad is pulled.
Cordially, Ken (NY)
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm
spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov
Add pictures here
βœ–

Only if you live in a country that sues each other at the drop of a hat R
Add pictures here
βœ–
No Big Thing... most advertising stretches credulity anyway. Few restaurant chain owners really have a head the size of a white basketball.
Carter (TV Commercial Producer)

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/26/05 10:43 PM, in article QBKve.34296$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com, "Carter Braxton"

Irresponsible only if it showed the car running around the gates.
The ad, in fact, clearly shows the gates as holding the train back, giving the car right of way.
Having said that, and given the stupidity of the average American driver.....
--
Brian Ehni

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Brian Paul Ehni"

The "American" is superfluous.
-- Cheers Roger T.
βœ–
the superfluous is American
:)))))

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:43:44 GMT, "Carter Braxton"
    Remember that ads have been pulled that show bicyclists not wearing helmets, even though they are mostly useless.
Cordially, Ken (NY)
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm
spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh really? I can assure you that many of my fellow triathletes, as well as me, have been spared serious head injuries because they were wearing a helmet. Most of us won't ride around the corner without one on.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have seen that ad several times and had never noticed that the crossing gates come down across the track rather than the road.
The first time I saw it, my reaction was "they just encouraged young driver to race the train to the crossing!"
The second time I saw it, I thought, "where did they get that antique loco?" I haven't seen one like that outside of a museum in more years than I can remember.
Norman Morgan <> http://www.norm-morgan.com
βœ–
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:53:28 -0400, Mike Tennent

This thead was about a TV ad at rec.models.railroad:
Irresponsible Ad
Did anyone see the new Nissan Altima ad?
It has the car running a grade crossing as the gates come down and beating the train.
Is this irresponsible or what?
Eric

    I remember your name from the nineties, but can't place it.     I too have competed - but in duathlons - until about 1999, and can tesitfy that thanks to my helmets, I escaped facial scratches from trees and bushes along trail rides. But even though I do wear one whenever I ride, I now seriously doubt that foam helmets can save someone from the force of a 3,000 motor vehicle striking their head. I did have a friend back in about 1995, who showed me his split helmet which had saved him from serious injury when he flew over his handlebar and struck his head on a curb, resulting in a headache and road rash. But those cases are really far and few between.     I will cross-post this to rec.bicyles.soc for further comments from bicyclists who have studied this subject a lot more than I have.
Cordially, Ken (NY)
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm
spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov
Add pictures here
βœ–

<snip>
Well duh. That's not what they're designed to do.
Do you know that you can suffer fatal head injuries simply from falling over on a bike? While stationary?
It's the velocity of the brain coming to a sudden stop. Simple physics and anatomy. That's what the helmet is designed for - those kind of head injuries.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:55:44 -0400, Mike Tennent

So true. What a shame that the International Brotherhood of Handwringers feel the need to invoke the fear of this kind of crash in order to promote them! But then, I suppose it's understandable, given that most serious cyclist injuries are sustained in collision with motor vehicles.

Or from falling over backwards while drunk. Not many people do, though. Funny, isn't it, that cycling only became dangerous after Bell started producing the Biker?

Er, not as such, no. It's designed for the equivalent of your disconnected head hitting a flat surface at 12mph or less. Although it is theoretically possible for this to be fatal, a lot of people have survived a lot worse. There is also a school of thought which suggests that the helmet makes the impact more likely in the first place, for a number of reasons. One of the best-known pro-helmet studies found that helmeted cyclists were seven times more likely to hit their heads, and the biggest study of cyclist injuries ever conducted in the USA found a small but significant increase in risk of death.
Like the man says, risk management is not rocket science - it's *much* more complicated than that!
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
βœ–

Brilliant!
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/~jadams/publish.htm is the man in question. And his book Risk is excellent.
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
βœ–
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

Marie Antoinette's disconnected head fell a lot less than two meters, and it was swiftly fatal to her. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ah, but she was eating a cake at the time.
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
βœ–

A lot of people have survived lots of things, but that's totally irrelevant.

Oh, I see. People who wear helmets ride around thinking "OK, if I crash, I'll just slam my head down on the pavement deliberately."
LOL.
Sounds like statistical games for those in denial.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"
Add pictures here
βœ–