Does anyone remember these? What can you tell us about them?

Does anyone remember these? What can you tell us about them?

Was looking through my old Walthers catalogs and came across the following items. They're all HO.

The Car Shop

A line of etched brass kits for cbooses and tenders. Heavy on NKP prototypes.

"N"-Way Products

A cast metal model of ATSF's 10 pack fuel foiler.

Taurus Products

A line wooden craftsman kits. Including a 40' double sheathed reefer in PFE and C, RI & P.

A stock car in Oregon Short Line.

A 20' wood ore car.

A Conoco tank car in HOn3.

A Pickle car in Milwaukee Road and Perkins.

D.J. Baker Co.

A line of metal cars. Including a 40' round roof auto box car in NP, NW, DTI, PRR and SAL.

A 50' round roof auto box car in NP, NW, DTI, PRR and SAL.

40' AAR steel box car in FEC, LN, SPS, WP, RI, SP overnight, TPW, CN, GAEX, SAL, three GNs, two ATSF, CNW, EL, NH, IC, CO, undec in brass and BC red.

A 40' steel reefer in Western Fruit Express, Swift, PFE SP UP Overland, ATSF and MDT.

Limited Editions

A line of extruded aluminum and castings for streamlined passenger trains.

They had a series of 19 cars for the 1937-8 SP Daylight/TNO Sunbeam.

Two for the 1939-41 SP Coast Daylight.

An articulated car for the 1941 SP Lark and two misc SP chair cars.

Fourteen cars for a ATSF Chief.

Three Southern cars and two RI ones.

Also eight cars for the NYC 20th Century Limited.

Reply to
Eric

| Does anyone remember these? What can you tell us about them?

| Taurus Products

Still in business. Occasional reruns of product in three scales.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

I'm not familiar with the name D.J. Baker, but the list of available cars makes it clear this is another in the string of people offering the old Athearn all-metal car kits from the early 1950's. Others were Pacific HO and Menzies, if I recall correctly.

I once bought a used one of their kits for the Daylight 3-unit articulated diner. The unique feature of their cars were the construction, using two "U" shaped aluminum extrusions - one for the roof and car sides above the windows, and one for the floor and lower cars sides. The edges of the sides had a narrow slot which held a strip of pre-printed celluloid with the window detail and color of the window posts. This cut their manufacturing costs - not having to punch windows into the aluminum - and gave them flexibility to make a large variety of cars with correct window arrangements. The problems I had were matching the pre-printed very glossy window strip colors, and the strength of the completed cars which were rather heavy, but with a weakness through the very thin window strip. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

I believe that is now the NKP Car Shop. I haven't invested in any of their products, but I hear some of the guys on the NKP groups talking about them. As far as I know, they are still in business under the NKP Car Shop name.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel